Drive belts for watch makers lathes?

Yeah, Aaron, without pictures, it does not exist. Is it round leather belt? old sewing machines use it, can still be obtained.

Thanks for the mention of sewing machine belts, there are a ton of options for them on Amazon. Most are 3/16" +/- 5mm or larger, the one on the lathe is closer to 1/8" and I'm measuring the grooves of the pullies at around 4mm so those may be too big, but I found a 2 pack 71" long for less than $10 so I ordered it. Thinking leather is kind of soft so maybe it conforms to fit the grooves.

If they don't fit I'm sure we can find a use for them around the house for some sort of project. Mike is sending me some 3mm and 4mm urethane belt material so one of these options should have me covered.

Don't know whether this will work; but, have you considered the Taig lathe or even mill belts.

The pulley grooves are very rounded, rather than vee like, but that is a thought if they were the right length. I have a few so easy to check.

For any kind of drive belts or belting,. Leather, plastic and other materials.. I have used them for years. Almost every thing in stock
I highly recommend them.
SLOME BELTING & SUPPLY
440 349 9024
I suggest you check out their website before calling.

I just picked up a small watchmakers lathe, marked as Waltham Watch Tool Company. It appears to be in pretty good shape, but the thin leather belts (almost leather shoe laces) are unusable, very dry and cracked. I see a lot of people using some sort of round rubber belts on their lathes.

What are these called and where do I find some to fit my lathe?

I'll start a post for the lathe itself once I get it moved in and set up.
I use 3/16" Buna N Nitril 70 o-rings for belts on my watchmakers lathes.

I put a photo in the what did you buy today thread.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/what-did-you-buy-today.55645/page-724#post-903387

I still have to find a corner to squeeze it into and then I'll start a proper thread on it. I'm guessing the lathe itself is around 110 years old. 10 minutes away, at a good price with lots of goodies included was just too hard to resist.

The leather belts look to be about 1/8" or so, but I'll measure the width of the pulley channels and send you a PM. Thanks!

I just picked up a small watchmakers lathe, marked as Waltham Watch Tool Company. It appears to be in pretty good shape, but the thin leather belts (almost leather shoe laces) are unusable, very dry and cracked. I see a lot of people using some sort of round rubber belts on their lathes.

What are these called and where do I find some to fit my lathe?

I'll start a post for the lathe itself once I get it moved in and set up.

Back