Drive gear for R8 spindle box mini mill

rbpercussion

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I have a mini mill that I shattered all the gears in the spindle box and was wondering if there was a place I could buy metal replacement gears or if there existed drawings online on how to make them.

Thank you?

Convert to a belt drive, worth the extra dollars. There are plans out there if you want to make it yourself.

Search my posts. Awhile ago when I still had the mini mill I broke the plastic gears within 15 mins of setting up the mill. Bought the metal gears from LMS then made the pulley conversion myself. I documented it fairly well.

Convert to a belt drive, worth the extra dollars. There are plans out there if you want to make it yourself.
is there advantages of a belt driven system over the gear driven system? You know, other than not breaking any more plastic gears.

Quieter, smoother, less vibration from the motor, slip factor if you push the mill too hard or crash. That last one alone is worth its weight...

Quieter, smoother, less vibration from the motor, slip factor if you push the mill too hard or crash. That last one alone is worth its weight...
the slip factor does seem like a decent advantage but if I had metal gears what's the worst that could happen beyond stalling the motor? and is that a really bad outcome?

Metal gears are LOUD, is another factor to consider. Belts are nice and quiet.

the slip factor does seem like a decent advantage but if I had metal gears what's the worst that could happen beyond stalling the motor? and is that a really bad outcome?
Well, I suppose that depends on how hard you crash the machine. They are just sintered powder gears, not impossible to break a tooth off.
You would be 100% fine with the metal gears and would absolutely never have to think of it again.
The reason I went with the belt drive was because it was a great first major project build for me. Interpreting drawings, FOLLOWING drawings, on the lathe, mill, and layout, it was inexpensive compared to buying the actual kit. The belt was not difficult to find online. It was fun to do.

Back