[How-To] Drive key keeps coming out on Warner Swasey turret lathe

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
The key that keeps the power feed going keeps working itself out. It slowly pushes out then falls out and the power feed stops.

I did clean the channel it slides in thinking debris in there would push it out. No change.

The problem started a few months ago

I’ll post pictures of the machine down to where the key is with it coming out

I can’t see where there is a keeper or anything holding it in.

1802DBF9-E40A-45A5-8998-6AE4F8F7C848.jpegF7975D78-C798-4CE2-AF74-CD7E80EFB17B.jpeg48A9E954-FC30-4DD8-A3D8-1D89F3EE74B1.jpeg91FAC65A-D3AD-4A8C-AEAE-91EC6FAE76AC.jpeg254B22B4-E0EC-4895-8EBC-8F734ED2FD8E.jpeg

Might be able to get or probably make something like that to clamp over the larger collar with a recess so it would clamp on but hang over enough to keep the key in.

Was there some kind of keeper to hold it? It is all smooth with no obvious way that something was there holding it.

I see, I did not realize it was the saddle.

What about something like a washer that bolts to the bronze bushing.

There had to be some type of keeper, or maybe a part of the key sheared off. Do you have a parts diagram?

Good idea about the parts list

Great idea about the split collar. I can use the lathe itself and Bridgeport to make a collar that would keep the key mounted to that bushing. Bonus every time I use it I am reminded I made the part myself.

I still wonder what the original solution was.

Stick a center punch on the split between the key and collar and smack it with a hammer....... The metal will deform and stop the key from moving.......

Back