Drive on car ramps, any experience, making them, using them?

This is a quick sketch i made on a piece of paper, i'm thinking of making it stagert, top part to be 25 centimeters wide, bottom 32 centimeters wide to help with side to side stability also the flat part where the tire rest i may make it like a jack stand so i can place a jack under it and raised that tire if i need more room.
IMG_20190112_102826.jpg

Thanks for the advice, any additional ideas are also appreciated.

This is a quick sketch i made on a piece of paper, i'm thinking of making it stagert, top part to be 25 centimeters wide, bottom 32 centimeters wide to help with side to side stability also the flat part where the tire rest i may make it like a jack stand so i can place a jack under it and raised that tire if i need more room.
View attachment 284596

Thanks for the advice, any additional ideas are also appreciated.

The jack stand part seems to be a good idea. I saw several on e-bay like that, but I've never seen that innovation up close. In theory, it probably works well. Dave-r-1 mentioned rubber pads perhaps being useful to prevent skidding while driving onto the ramp. Several years ago, I bought a pair of wheel chocks where I had that problem. I resolved it by welding a strip of 10 gauge steel onto the front of the chocks so the tires would be resting on them instead of the floor. Worked great. Depending on your construction, you may wish to consider this.

Regards,
Terry

I had a friend that made a sweet of ramps very similar to what's in the first video and they worked great. They were very stable and relatively cheap if you have the tools and Know how.
In the second video there are multiple variants of the same concept using different materials including wood which should give you a few more ideas.

OK I am sorry that I missed your location. I too have similar problems as I live on a sailboat in the Eastern Caribbean. No Walmart and No Harbor Freight here too.

If I may comment on your design I would make the lip at the front of the flat section a little higher. 40 to 50 mm is good.

Think of a way to make sure the ramps wont slip forward. Rubber pads cut from an old tire work on hard surfaces like concrete. On a dirt floor add something to dig in and stop the ramps sliding forward.

I have seen instances where both the above would have saved the car owners big bills. I was 25 years in the motor trade and sometimes coping DIY disasters

My father’s father, built bridges and buildings for the railroad. These are copies of what granddad had built for his use.

The ramps are about 6 feet long with a 12” lift and the drive on part are an additional 11 feet long. I use the ramps alone for most servicing of my cars.
Here is a quick shot of one of the ramps that my family has been using for 40 years. Like I stated earlier 3 X 10 timber and the blocking at the end is cut piece from the same timbers. At the end of the ramp, there is a removable piece that fits the pin used to attach the longer 11 foot long pieces. This pin is also used to hold the stop block that the tire would hit. Very simple to build and use. In areas with limited resources, wood is usually available and very durable.

90846944-4338-4D92-9420-45B5C75604A4.jpeg7C050F58-56BC-429F-A85D-FABD05D9401E.jpeg

Take it from someone who has driven over the end of car ramps before, make sure there is a tall, sturdy stop at the end. It will scare the poop out of you if you go over the front of them.

Barncat, i'll make sure to make the stop at the end is big enough to stop the car, because i have french cars with so soft suspension i won't know i'm on the top of them, i'll be trying to drive over the end often. I also will make the entry with a flat plate so the tire applies pressure on the frame before starts to climb, i'll be using them on brush finished concrete, so slip is not a big concern, but i may weld on couple of spikes at the corners.

I went by the steel place, and bought some angle iron to start making those ramps, i have some but bought little bigger for added strength, during the week i'll get to making plans and cutting the material to dimensions, i had the steel place cut the angle iron to 1 m length so i can bring it in my car.
IMG_20190112_215020.jpg

I made a set of ramps years ago, the only problem as newer car evolved they got lower and the front bumper/fender hit the ramp before the wheel started up the ramp. It's nice to have a nice high ramp to give you room to work under the car but check the height versus length of the ramp before you construct them.

Just remember, there also is a "range" for what you can reach when underneath the vehicle, so you don't want it too high. High enough to get under it (possibly with a creeper) and get parts in and out, but making it higher than needed can make actually working on the vehicle much more difficult.

But who of us don't need an ab workout? :)

Back