Drive Pulley has some play

When you have a pulley mounted on a shaft with a key way. There should be two set screws. One directly over keyway to engage key to shaft. The other mostly is 90* from keyway. To lock pulley to shaft. If you put 180* from key it might want rock naturally because of the two pressure points. And red LocTite is always good insurance.

I had such a problem, and the fix was to run a reamer down the pulley hole; it was slightly (out-of-round? conical?),
but after making it circular, the problem went away. No guarantees, but if you can't fit a shim in to tighten the
fit, it could be that the hole isn't round enough to achieve shaft contact.

The pulley hole is round but the key way in the pulley is I tad too wide so the pulley rotates on the shaft. When I just tighten it's ok but after a week or so it's back to noisy normal.

When you have a pulley mounted on a shaft with a key way. There should be two set screws. One directly over keyway to engage key to shaft. The other mostly is 90* from keyway. To lock pulley to shaft. If you put 180* from key it might want rock naturally because of the two pressure points. And red LocTite is always good insurance.

In my case there is just one on top of the key.

The pulley rotation is only small but enough to be noisy and it probably increases wear which may mean eventual failure. Hey, I'm still new at this so I'm not sure.

Maybe make a new key that wedges in the pulley a little closer, so it will have a little step between the where it goes in the motor shaft keyway and where it goes in the pulley keyway?

You won’t wanna keep running like that with a wobble. Eventually it’s gonna wear your motor shaft from rockin.
With all the things wrong with that pulley. Bore loose, keyway to big, only one setscrew. I would just make or buy a new one and stop pulling your hair out on this. That pulley should be easily sourced and really overall size can be changed for your speed request.

Back