Dro-350 Or Dro-550 Shumatech

SEK_22Hornet

Active User
Registered
Does anyone here use the Shumatech DRO's? I'm especially interested in hearing if anyone has used either the 350 or the 550 with the Igaging scales. Shumatech warns that the 350 is obsolete and has some issues, but it still interests me, so if you have one, I'd love to hear your impressions of it.

Unless you have found one for sale used, the 350 is no longer available. A quick check on Shumatech's site shows that the 375 (the replacement upgrade for the 350) isn't available either. Only the 550 is now available. It has 5 scale inputs vs 3 for the 350. It also has improved "anti jitter" for the Chinese scales. I have a 375 and although I don't use it much yet(I'm not set up well with that machine) it seems to work well.

I have two Dro-350s I built in 2005. they work ok. If you use magnetic scales there can be a lot of flicker/jitter with the thousands digit.

I bought the DPU-550 upgrade (pre dro-550 add on) and I can say it has been nothing but frustration. I added the first dpu (bought 2) to my lathe readout and it was dead upon completion. I then built the 2nd dpu and added it to the same lathe DRO350 and it worked. hesitant make it worse i left it as is...until last night. I removed the workign DPU from the lathe DRO and reinstalled the original in an attempt to reprogram it.

long story short I now have a non working dro-350 and two non working dpu-550 add on boards.

If I were going to do it again today I would just buy a import system (ditron/sino/sinpo etc...)

I have a DRO-550 on my X2 mill, and love it. I added a hall effect/magnet tach to it. Wish I'd had the funds to buy 2 at the time. I'd like one on the lathe.

Chuck

Unless you have found one for sale used, the 350 is no longer available. A quick check on Shumatech's site shows that the 375 (the replacement upgrade for the 350) isn't available either. Only the 550 is now available.

Scott has decided to move on from the DRO side business [i.e. his new day job now takes all of his time] so whatever is currently available on his site is the last of his available stock and he will not be restocking.

Does anyone here use the Shumatech DRO's? I'm especially interested in hearing if anyone has used either the 350 or the 550 with the Igaging scales. Shumatech warns that the 350 is obsolete and has some issues, but it still interests me, so if you have one, I'd love to hear your impressions of it.

As a side note, I believe I have two DRO350 "kits" somewhere around the house. I never got around to putting them together. If you are interested PM me and I will try to hunt them up.[/QUOTE]

I just completed installing three axes on my G0602 lathe using the iGaging DigiMag scales and Yuriy's TouchDRO app for Android devices. The processing is handled by a Arduino microcomputer and sent via Bluetooth to the smartphone or tablet. My total outlay for scales was just over $100 and the electronics was about $40. (I am using my Moto X smartphone). If you want a dedicated display, I have seen Bluetooth enable Android tablets for $50.
Wiring is very simple. There are only a handful of additional components and a prototyping shield for the Arduino makes for simple connections. Yuriy's website has blow by blow assembly instructions. His site: http://www.yuriystoys.com/p/arduino-basic-dro-controller.html.
I have found the scales accurate and repeatable to .001".

I use touch DRO also. Seems to work well. Read through the info on his site, and you will know quickly if you can build it. I did mine a year ago and used the MSP-430 board. Once set up works well and seems to be accurate, no parts for space program made in my shop. I think I have about 150.00 invested including three scales.

I am an ham radio operator who has worked in electronics as a technician and engineer for 37 years, so building something doesn't bother me - I have looked at the Touch DRO, but I would need a tablet, since I don't have any adroid devices. I already have an Uno board (if you live near a Micro Center store, they have them in stock for $9.99), I have been thinking about that route as well. Wildhorse is out of stock on the DRO-350 kits, so that leaves a DRO-550 as the only other option.

I built the "Yuri dro" For glass scales today. Mostly because I killed the shumatech the other day and I already had a few TI launchpads. All in all its very simple, and cheap. $10 for the launchpad and $3 or so for a blue tooth module from China.

rps20150314_170851_819_zps5hmklacf.jpg

rps20150314_170934_731_zpskdo2c8yf.jpg

Back