DRO addition to a VanNorman #12

Heavy Junk

Registered
Registered
Tried to find info about adding a DRO to a VanNorman #12, with no avail. Decided to go for it on my own and am very satisfied with the results. The advantages are remarkable, had no idea how much was to be gained. Included photos of the end results, will be glad to answer any questions. Enjoy. Anyone interested in doing the same, I highly recommend it. Thanks.

IMGP0899.JPG IMGP0900.JPG IMGP0901.JPG IMGP0902.JPG IMGP0903.JPG IMGP0904.JPG IMGP0905.JPG IMGP0906.JPG IMGP0907.JPG IMGP0908.JPG IMGP0910.JPG

Hello Heavy Junk, and wellcome to the forum.

Im sure that the Van Norman guys will have a few questions for you. My friend has a #12 and I have sent him a link to your post so he could have a look at your set up.

You didnt say in your post what brand of DRO you installed? Im sure you will find it real handy as we all do on most any mill. Was the install fairly straight forward, or was any issues that you had to over come during the install?

There is other members here with VN #12 mills, and Im sure they will want to know the details of your install.

Wellcome aboard

Hello Paul, thanks for your interest in my thread. The brand of my DRO is a generic import sold by TPACTOOLS.COM, is a three axis glass linear scale. For the VN #12, 8", 16", and 20" scales were used. Mounting hardware with brackets and covers were include. The X scale was the only one able to use cover and absolutely necessary because of coolant overflow from table. Mounting of Y and Z scale was accomplished by using aluminum round stock drilled for stand offs using 5mm screws included.
Tools needed to install will be 5mm x .80 and 4mm x .70 taps for screws included in kit. Installation was labor intensive due to having to figure best mounting locations for all pieces included. Overall, am well satisfied with DRO price and quality. Thanks Wally

Nice. I'll have to dogear this thread. I'm a looooong way off from a DRO on my VN12, but these look decent. Incidentally, are the cables/jacks an industry standard? What I mean is, if the DRO were to fail, could the scales and cables simply plug into another unit?

Wally

Just wondering if you lost any table travel in the process, with mounting the scales?

hi i have a vn 12 as well & am looking to do a dro setup as well but want a 4 axis so i can add the ram as well. How did you figure out the lengths? Also i noticed you actually have the overarm support. Do you use it & have you had any luck finding arbors in 5v? Im looking for a 22mm arbor as all i see on ebay for involute cutters all are for a 22mm arbor. Can you post better pics of the mounting? Also in the 1 st pic what is that standing on the table left side? Thanks for your time

Back