DRO advice please: Grizzly H6096

You might want to check out this company and what they have to offer. Its where I got the DRO for my Grizzly G4003G lathe and I love it. They seemed like very knowledgeable people and were very helpful.

http://www.dropros.com/

Model Maker

I bought it today for $500 new in the box. The long scale is a bit long at 40", my lathe is only 24". Seemed like a good deal.

mnmh link=topic=2019.msg13245#msg13245 date=1304628663 said:
Kennyd link=topic=2019.msg13244#msg13244 date=1304627592 said:
I bought it today for $500 new in the box. The long scale is a bit long at 40", my lathe is only 24". Seemed like a good deal.
Sell the scales on ebay and buy the correct length scales. Those are probably glass scales so you can't cut them down.

Ed

I have read quite the opposite, glass scales can indeed be cut down from what I have read. A simple Google search of "cutting glass DRO scales" turn up lots of info. Click this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cutting+glass+dro+scales

Last edited by a moderator:
More info and questions:

This DRO is actually a Easson ES-10 model, some of the hardware even has the Easson name on it.

So, I am working on getting it installed, I see most scales are mounted directly to the slide-with the wiper facing away from the chuck or down, but the screws that adjust the gibs are in my way to do that, plus I have the carriage lock there also.

So this is what I am thinking in the pics below. I can make a bracket that connects the reader head to the slide, but I am concerned about loosing the ability to slide the tail-stock in as close to the chuck since the scale will be in the way.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

IMG_1001.jpg IMG_1002.jpg

mnmh link=topic=2019.msg19339#msg19339 date=1311243846 said:
I have a similar problem and I ended up making some 'L' brackets to mount the scale horizontally rather than the tradition vertical position. My lathe has a tapered gib so there are no screws in the side of the cross slide for adjusting the gib but there is the cross slide lock and the carriage lock is very close to the cross slide. See attached images. I haven't quite finished the install yet. I should be able to finish it up this weekend, with any luck. ;)

Ed

Thanks Ed...That should work well for you.

OK, I came up with a plan "B". I picked up some 3/8"x2" AL flat bar, I intend to hang the scale of the back-it will be out of the way of everything this way, and the brackets will be easy to make also. I just need to figure out how to support it a little better since there is/will be so much length that's unsupported.

I made a mock-up in the pics below:

IMG_1005.jpg IMG_1006.jpg

It is indeed 1/8", that's what I had in stock for the mock-up. I am thinking of using 1/4"x3/4" for the permanent piece.

Thoughts on the overall idea?

mnmh link=topic=2019.msg19427#msg19427 date=1311332337 said:
Will the backsplash shield fit on your lathe with the scale sticking way back like that?

Ed

My only "shield" is the wall. ;)

Back