DRO and logan 200 anyone?

Bhouin

Registered
Registered
I am curious if anyone here has installed a DRO on a logan 200. If so can you provide some insight into your experience with the install and your level of satisfaction?

Good Sir;
I run a Logan 820 pretty regular and after I dimanteled and cleaned the carriage and compound, then the whole apron I decided I could get by without a DRO on the lathe. If I need the increased accuracy I mount a dial indicator or two for that job. I have made stops utilizing micrometer thimbles so am pretty well off there also. Getting all the old dried oil off the internals, then adjusting the gibs after a good lapping she's a pretty tight old gal. Kinda like a German virgin, "gutton tite".
The other thing with the smaller lathes is the lack of room to mount the glass strips. Those I got are about 1" wide and 3/4" deep. They just don't disappear. Seemed like I would sacrifice movement or clearance no matter what I did, so I remained as explained.

Now, DRO on my Bridgeport. No comparison. I ordered the $800 three axis unit from Shars and could not be happier. The increased accuracy and all the functions built into the display make it so nice my Grandma could run it. Come to think of it she did something close to that during the big one, way back when. The mill not the DRO. And the folks at Shars are great to deal with. Very friendly and helpful.

DRO would be nice, but not REAL necessary in this application, in my opinion. :thinking:

Keep building up SWARF!

Thank you for the reply. I completely agree that a dro is not a necessity. It would just make it a bit easier. However you are correct that a dial indicator setup could be used as well. The point of the dro for me is just to remove some of the time to setup the indicators and make things generally easier for me.

Thank you for the reply. I completely agree that a dro is not a necessity. It would just make it a bit easier.

I agree with you and bought a digital batter powered ' El-Cheapo" magnetic( 6" unit) for about $35.00 ON E-bAY and used it on the carriage only and I am tickled pink....it has a remote reading screen so i can place that wherever I want. My only complaint ia that it does not have Auto-Off and I continually forget to shut it off...so i am frequently changing batteries (bought in bulk at harbor Freight)
Crossfeed backlash worry is a thing of the past... longitudinal measurements are not a problem for the stuff i turn
good luck
joe

I put one on my South Bend 13" and I liked it so well I have one coming for my Leblond. And my feed screws nuts are fairly new so no problem there. This way I don't have to keep setting the dials to 0.

Paul

Back