[4]

DRO but Which One?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I know this horse has been beat to death.The more I read and watch Utubes my headache getting worse,I have read post back several yrs ago and different forums to kinda present day and time.Guys I am just weekend wannabe machinist type person just doing this for fun so nothing serious but I want it to be spot on and trouble free(possible) I know that comes at a cost.Guys I can't come close to afford one of those top shelve models so I have in mind DROpros but thats little above my budget but maybe.So guys 1)DROPros but what would you pick as your Second choice?I have look over on auction site and they are there by boat loads and are very cheap which kinda scares me little.I want the magnetic scales but looks like on ebay its all glass.What I want to put this on is a mill say 2axis and also 2 axis for my 11" lathe later down the road.On Ebay I can find 3axis for 300.00 but glass and its hard to resist that price but again which one and from who?I know that at those prices support is out----Thanks guys,riding this horse one more time----kroll

Last edited:

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Many folks buy the systems from Aliexpress and are happy with them. I think the site called "Siton" is fairly reputable. I believe the owner's name is Wilson-
"Wilson!" "Wilson!" (Castaway movie)
m

bss1

I just bought an Easson 3 axis glass scale kit from Wilson at Ali express and installed it on my Millrite. The price was 50% less than DROpros for the exact same equipment.

I purchased the DRO for my PM1340 Lathe from DROpros but didn’t want to spend as much on my 50 year old Millrite, so I tried to go the cheap route since I had already installed one system and most of the mystery was gone. I couldn’t be more pleased with the system and the experience with aliexpress.

Kroll

Active User
Sounds good and less than DROpros but I see Aliexpress has several models pic from and heard that Easson is good also.But which model did ya'll go with?

bss1

I went with the Easson 12c with glass Easson branded scales. I paid an additional $20 per scale to upgrade to 1 micron.

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I went with the cheap units too. Glass scales aren't bad, they are just more difficult to mount. Mag would be nice, but I'm not willing to pay for them for my hobby. When they get cheaper, maybe.

I went with ebay due to the coupons they were doing at the time. It's the same gear, I suspect most of them just put different stickers on them.

If you want support beyond the crew here or youtube, somewhere like DROPros can be a good choice. I hear good things about them.

Kroll

Active User
Guys it sounds like glass scales are not that bad and it looks like several have the Easson brand.I just have hard time spending 800 for a good DRO that DROpros sell and I'm sure its worth it but thats just out of my budget.Going to research little what bss1 has

DavidMTL

Registered
Budget wise I'm in the same boat, and trying to read the ever smaller numbers on the dials is getting to be a pita.

A friend of mine went with IGAGING two years back. It was one of their older models but worked quite nice. Mag scales so cutting wasn't a big deal. Was accurate enough for pretty much everything he was ever going to make. I'm about 80% sure it's what I'm going to be ordering in the next month or so. Probably just the basic version not their higher end unit. I just need something to display accurately to 3 decimals that doesn't stress my eyes and give me a headache after an hour and they seem to fit the bill the best.

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
A few years ago I bought a DRO from DRO Pros, good reputable company, I had trouble with the touch pad a couple of years after I bought it. Got in touch with them but found out the unit wasn't available anymore and neither were parts. My take now is unless your going top of the line like Fagor or similar you may as well go China direct and save a bunch eliminating the middle man. I put a three axis from Aliexpress on the mill last winter, couldn't be happier. It replaced a 15 year old Shooting Star that now upgrades the shaper.

Greg

Kroll

Active User
Greg I been looking Aliexpress,what model did you go with and did you upgrade I guess the reader from uf.005 to uf.001?Guessing that the .001 reads faster to keep up with the display

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
I bought my Easson DRO on AliExpress (follow link) I am very happy with it. Glass scales are accurate and problem free if you mount them properly.

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
This is the one I bought.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hig...801.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.618a4c4dZNuRhK

The .005 mm scales are all you need for a mill, thats .0002 inch resolution. Actually too sensitive, wish I could set it to 1/2 thou.
As Eddy said the glass scales have been pretty much problem free for me. Did have a wire break on the Fagor scale mounted on the compound of my Summit lathe but it gets lots of abuse where its mounted. Actually took the reader apart and resolder the wire, was a lot like doing brain surgery on a cat.

Greg

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
You answered your own question in the first post, a 2 axis dro for $300.00-$500.00

There is nothing difficult about this decision, buy what you are willing to pay for, you have no other choice.

Also stop banging your head watching noobTube videos, most of the posters have a financial relationship with the products that they hawk, it is a job for many people.

bss1

Greg I been looking Aliexpress,what model did you go with and did you upgrade I guess the reader from uf.005 to uf.001?Guessing that the .001 reads faster to keep up with the display
I agree, I don’t think upgrading to 1 micron scales is necessary. When I inquired about the cost it just seemed so reasonable compared to what DRO pros charged and I went for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mdkelley

Registered
The below option is pretty cheap and would get you a small readout. You can connect them to a DRO readout if you want, or just use as is for a very low cost option. Go to CDCO at cdcotools.com then click on the DRO systems at the top, and scroll to the bottom of the DRO page. It depends on the cross slide travel and the length between centers but you could get something for under $200 without the remote readout screen. Then buy the screen and cables at a later date if you decide you need it. I have been thinking about going this route.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I too was not willing to put big money into a well used Bridgeport.
I went with Igaging. 3 axis.
That what I have and for my hobby use it is accurate enough.

Kroll

Active User
Janderson could you post couple pics of your scales,do you have a guard over the scales?I had an Igage few yrs ago and the magnetic strip got oil on it then come off the aluminum piece.

royesses

Janderson could you post couple pics of your scales,do you have a guard over the scales?I had an Igage few yrs ago and the magnetic strip got oil on it then come off the aluminum piece.
I had 3 of the Igaging absolutes and had the same problem. Started getting errors and the magnet strips de-laminated from the stainless. I relaced it with a Blue tooth dro from LMS using Yui's Touch dro.

Roy

royesses

I have a project to cover the scales. Meanwhile I use plastic wrap or what ever I can find. Good to know about the fragility element.
I don't think blowing pressurized air to clean off chips is good either. That might help de-lamination get going faster. I used canned air only but that might have accelerated the problem. Maybe just use a dry paint brush and clean rag to wipe them down.

Roy

[6]
[5] [7]