DRO -- Educate Me Please

I measured the scale length on my 32" table BPM and it measured 660mm That length did not include the end caps, just the scale itself. You'll be fine with a 600.

Just be sure that your seller understands that you are asking for "travel length" when you order.

There is quite a bit of information and various installs on the DRO Pros website: http://www.dropros.com/Digital_Readout_DRO_Installation.htm

My calculations based on the travel measurements using glass scales would be:
X scale overall length of 600 or 650mm
Y scale overall length of 450 or 500mm
Z scale overall length of 550mm
You need to take a look at the mounting surfaces to make sure nothing is obstructed, I would get the slightly longer scales on the X and Y if you have the space. I would order the scales as they indicate which is overall length based on their calculations. I find that if you ask for anything else, you might not get what you want, especially when your are ordering from Asian sellers.

The X scale is mounted to the table which is the moving surface. the reader is mounted to the saddle.
The Y scale is mounted to the knee and the reader is mounted to the saddle.
The Z scale is mounted to the column and the reader is mounted to the knee.
Since the surfaces may not be even (with the exception of the X axis on the table), you need the ability to adjust both the reader and the scales so that everything is run parallel and true. This is usually done with a test or dial indicator. I mount my Y and Z scales on aluminum rectangular bar stock usually with 4 jacking screws. Scales also come with jacking screws on either end and the mounting holes are usually slotted to allow some adjustment.

Attachments

• SINO DRO Install Manual.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I posted this thread quite some time ago. Then I was very disappointed but now having become used to it, and having used some of the most useful functions, I see nothing wrong with the unit, only bad instructions and paper work. (actually if you know Chinglish, they're not that bad. It just took lots of video watching to figure it out)

I've used the bolt circle function many times and centering is a breeze. The line hole and arc functions are also good to have.

If I had it to do again, I still couldn't resist the low price.

I may not have the best tools but I have lots of them. Besides, I'm not making my living with this stuff. That would entirely change the picture. The tools I MADE MY LIVING WITH (now retired) were only brand name top shelf.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron - I've firmly decided to go with oe of the lower cost models - now I just need to get by a dozen other things in front me (unrelated to the shop unfortunately) and get to ordering one of them.

Rick

Good morning,Rick any updates or pics of what you pickup?Boy I would like to purchase from DRO pros but my pockets just won't allow it.Lots of info on their site and a warranty with support,but I also will have to go with the cheaper so rolling the dice.

Good morning,Rick any updates or pics of what you pickup?Boy I would like to purchase from DRO pros but my pockets just won't allow it.Lots of info on their site and a warranty with support,but I also will have to go with the cheaper so rolling the dice.

Unfortunately I haven't made any progress with this project - I've been taking advantage of the nice weather. 10 yards of mulch and 8 yards of run a crush. Hopefully I will be getting to this soon. My current plan is to get the same unit asd Holescreek referenced up thread - unless I win the loottery :)

Rick

Back