DRO Finally Done

epanzella

Active User
Registered
Finally finished the DRO install on my HF mill/drill. I made more work for myself by installing the X scale on the front instead behind the table but I didn't want to lose Y travel. It's already in short supply on this machine. I was surprised at how involved this turned out to be.

Attachments

• DSC_0801.JPG
    DSC_0801.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0803.JPG
    DSC_0803.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 102
  • DSC_0826.JPG
    DSC_0826.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0827.JPG
    DSC_0827.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
  • DSC_0830.JPG
    DSC_0830.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0832.JPG
    DSC_0832.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
Great work!
Is the gear on the table lead screw for power feed?

Great work!
Is the gear on the table lead screw for power feed?
Yes, the gear is for a power feed. I got it MSC for $300. Works great! One of the reasons the x scale is on standoffs it to allow room for the power feed limit switch. I didn't trust myself to run the feed without it.

Good installation! Accommodating BOTH the DRO scale and the power feed stops was a real challenge for me as well. Yours is a cleaner installation than the one I ended up with!

Interesting to put the Z facing the way it is. Normally they go sideways. Was that just happenstance or is that how the kit was designed?

Jon

Interesting to put the Z facing the way it is. Normally they go sideways. Was that just happenstance or is that how the kit was designed?

Jon
There was no actual designed "kit" Each scale (X, Y & Z) had an L bracket and a handful of screws. The three parts bags were identical and there were zero instructions. I had to make nearly all the parts with the stuff that came in the box serving merely as raw material. I put the Z facing out because the width of the combined scale and reader. Putting it sideways would have the unit and the wire loom encroaching on the quill lock and power switch. Of course I could have made a side mount bracket driven off the lower part of the quill but I still have a VFD to mount yet and I was trying not to block any options for that as well. I went round and round on this but it seemed coming an extra inch toward the operator was the least of all evils.

Good installation! Accommodating BOTH the DRO scale and the power feed stops was a real challenge for me as well. Yours is a cleaner installation than the one I ended up with!
Yes, it was a tight fit! So tight, in fact, that there was no room to install the factory limit stops without reducing my X travel. I ended up having the standoffs doing double duty acting as the limit stops as well.

I did a similar mount for the x axis on a G0755 mill. I mounted the scale on a length of 1.5 x .375 CRS. I added a shield to protect the limit switch from machining swarf and fluids. As I recall, I also remade the limit stop plunger assemblies. All of the OEM travel and features were retained.
G0755 X Axis.JPGPickup Shield.JPG

On a DRO install in an RF30 clone, To mount the z axis scale, I replaced the depth rod with a length of 5/8" ground shaft. The through hole in the boss for the stop rod was enlarged to accommodate the shaft. The scale was mounted to a 3/8" x 1-3/8" x 12" 6061 bar which was mounted to the depth stop bracket along with the shaft. The upper end of the shaft supported the top of the bar providing a very stable mount for the scale. The depth rod was relocated and the stop nut replaced with two nuts and a tab which can swing in to engage the boss. It has the additional advantage of being able to limit upward travel as well as downward travel; useful when drilling multiple holes and you don't want the quill to return to its home position.
DRO Z Axis  1.JPG DRO Z Axis  2.JPG

Back