DRO Finally Done

On a DRO install in an RF30 clone, To mount the z axis scale, I replaced the depth rod with a length of 5/8" ground shaft. The through hole in the boss for the stop rod was enlarged to accommodate the shaft. The scale was mounted to a 3/8" x 1-3/8" x 12" 6061 bar which was mounted to the depth stop bracket along with the shaft. The upper end of the shaft supported the top of the bar providing a very stable mount for the scale. The depth rod was relocated and the stop nut replaced with two nuts and a tab which can swing in to engage the boss. It has the additional advantage of being able to limit upward travel as well as downward travel; useful when drilling multiple holes and you don't want the quill to return to its home position.
My install was similar. I replaced the feed rod with a 1/2 x 20 tpi rod and rebushed the holes for a better fit.

Last edited:
The RF-30 does have its challenges for DRO installation. Just for completeness (in case somebody else wants to use this thread as a guide), I'll offer some photos of my own installation, plus one from a friend's mill.kHPIM5801.jpgkHPIM6134.jpgkHPIM6136.jpgkHPIM2884.jpg

Picture of the assembly before installation. I did add a piece of aluminum angle to attach the movable head to the quill clampz assembly.jpg

Fantastic place to put the Z scale! Out of the way, and it should stay very clean.

Thanks, I saw something similar on some YouTube channel. The best part is the entire scale stays up in the cavity. The only thing that drops out is the aluminum angle.

That’s similar to how I did mine. I didn’t want the scale on the front of the machine.

Up thru the center is how originally planned mine but the belts were in the way. That's a nice mount you have there.

Last edited:
How were the belts in the way? My scale only went to the underside of the pan under the belts.

Back