DRO for a Smithy 1340

uchytil

Registered
Registered
Hoping someone has installed one and I can get some information on purchase and feedback. I've done a bunch of research on youtube and ebay but nothing really sticks out. I'm hoping to get something better that the plain linear scale.

Any of the garden variety DROs would probably be fine. You might want to choose the smaller ka-500 scales instead of the more common ka-300 ones for a better fit. They cost a bit more though so maybe use a mix of small and large depending on the location on the machine. Aliexpress has many to choose from.
If you are on a really tight budget the capacitive Igaging units might be a good choice
-Mark

I really like the import DRO units I installed on my machines. Just the usual stuff, I think it says "Sino" on it... Glass scales, LED display head. It has the usual features like bolt circles/lines multiple tools/offsets etc.. There are seller names for ebay and aliexpress in various threads here.

I don't think we have a lot of Smithy users here, but it looks like there wouldn't be a good way to mount a Z scale. So you would be working with a 2 axis setup. Check lathe DRO install threads, most of those will translate pretty well to the Smithy I would expect.

I really like the import DRO units I installed on my machines. Just the usual stuff, I think it says "Sino" on it... Glass scales, LED display head. It has the usual features like bolt circles/lines multiple tools/offsets etc.. There are seller names for ebay and aliexpress in various threads here.

I don't think we have a lot of Smithy users here, but it looks like there wouldn't be a good way to mount a Z scale. So you would be working with a 2 axis setup. Check lathe DRO install threads, most of those will translate pretty well to the Smithy I would expect.
There are a few people that have mounted them on the Smithy. Smithy sells the shooting star 3 axis but they want $700. One guy installed the magnetic type that you can cut to length and he has 3 axis but it only a +/- linear readout. I'm hoping someone with a Smithy and DRO will see this. The Smithy threads don't get read often so I posted here. We'll get there! The aliexpress thing is new to me so there's a start.

When I bought them, the import DROS went for about $100/axis, so a 3 axis would be about $300. That was for the larger glass scales up to some max length. It depended on the seller, but most of them would go up to about 3-4 foot. Smaller or more precise would be an added charge.

Magnetic are nice, but expensive. That said, I think dro pros sells them for about $700. If the one Smithy sells is glass scales, and that budget works for you, go with magnetic. They are small and easier to cut. I wasn't willing to pay it, the sets for my mill and lathe were less that that together.

Back