DRO for BP Which One? 2Axis

This is what I did. I also made wood end caps as well that fit and fully enclosed the ends.

Ted

IMG_20181120_210202.jpg

Fantastic T Ted I just wanted to make sure I doing it right,your solution is much better and looks good.Back on track now:)

Guys I been off this past week spending most of the time working on installing the axis on the mill.As easy as it sounds for me its a big job especially not having a mill to use to help make some of the brackets and just drilling holes that line up.I tried to do this using a drill press which did work but I had to drill out the holes in brackets bigger just to give me little adjustments.Anyway yesterday I roughly mounted the Z axis and shim it out just to see if it could be done using a single point attachment since no mill.I wanted to do like T Ted but had to go with this just to see if it could be done.I took 1" dia aluminum rod cut to 1/2 length drill a 1/4 hole in middle for the bolt then mounted to see how it would line up and be square with the ways on the column which it was not.So I put some quadrant marks on the rod went to sanding at an angle to match the casting(which this is not the correct way to do this but its what I have for now)after a sanding session on top spacer at a angle I would mount it and the bar for the axes and check for squareness with the column ways then sand some more,more,more.After I finally got it square with ways then started on the bottom sanding till I got the correct angle.OK after that then check again for squareness with the ways one more time.Next was getting it space correctly with the knee which that took time in itself which I ended up putting a .002 shim at the top.Up/down,up/down etc with the knee which I ended up only .002 out,which when I do the finally install I will use another shim to try to get it better(arms tired).Right now in the pic I am using just hex head 1/4 bolts which I will order some flat head bolts that have an 80* angle to match my 80* counter sink bit.After all this I still will have go through this again for the finally time cause going to order some shim washers to help get this spot on.IMG_0708.jpg

Back