DRO for Mill/Drill

When I had my Shooting Star DRO on my RF-45 mill, I put the encoder assembly on the front of table (pics). When I changed to a Newall system I put it on the back of table & prefer it there. It has a heavy aluminum channel protecting the encoder & I have a rubber apron from table to dovetail pillar that keeps swarf from getting back there.

So having done it both ways I prefer a cleaner front table edge. My table clamp handles are in the same vicinity. I also made better X-direction stops which are much more positive than the stock 'washers'. However they are wider so would have interfered with encoder. I also replaced the cheesy stock center stop with a meatier machined stop. I also have a power feed but don't use the limit stop. A bit of risk yes, but the front edge only has so much real estate to accommodate all this stuff so you have to decide what's functionally important to you.

IMG_0715_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0716_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0717_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0720_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0722_edited-1.jpg

J2048x1360-07610_edited-1.jpg

J2048x1360-07864_edited-1.jpg

When I put igaging scales on my Jet 15 (same as your Enco 105, I think) I was able to fit the X scale on the back without losing any Y travel, though I had to replace the way cover.

I like what you have done, is the scale in an aluminum channel? Also the power feed? After thinking about it I recall something about milling away sides of angle to mount these tools. With your permission I believe I will copy your method of mounting them. Otherwise I may do what is known in the mining industry; high grading it. Again I am impressed with your work. I haven't started on installing yet but due to your input and hopefully some warmer weather will get started.
Have a good day
Ray
P.S. Is the limit switch actuated with a "soft" touch?
Gray Ray how did you get on in the end with mounting your DRO scale and the stops for your power feed etc .Ive been offline a few months now due to excessive work load but looking forward to tinkering around again soon

Back