DRO for my mill

The only downside I can think of is this: as long as the DRO is plugged in, it tracks the axis movement (even if the screen is off). This way it always remembers the position of the machine from your last setup. Makes it nice if you want to go to bed and pick it up the next morning to keep working. If you completely shut it off or unplug the scales then that position data is lost and you'll need to rezero your tools. If you have many tools in Sub Datum Memory (SDM) then this can be time consuming. If you are just using it for basic DRO function then no big deal.

I got my DRO 3 weeks ago from Amazon. Typical mill lengths run about $245 for 3 axis with display. There's some confusion about the lengths to order. The propaganda says the scales need to be 140mm longer than the travel so guys add 140mm to the travel when they place the order. Then the factory also adds the 140mm and they end up too long. It's not a big deal because the glass scales are easy to cut. My X & Y scales were perfect but the right Z scale was unavailable. I cut the Z scale with a bandsaw. On the internetz they show removing the wipers, cutting scale and then chipping the glass back for end cap clearance, then replacing the wipers. Most of that is not necessary. Just remove the trolly and cut the scale (wipers and all). Instead of cutting the glass scale back for end cap clearance, I just cut a notch in the raised rib of the cap with my dremel. The screws are such a fine thread you just screw them back into the extrusion without tapping to reattach the end cap. Start to finish ten minutes per scale.

Back