DRO for Vertical Mill or Lathe - Info & experiences

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
OK gang, The accounting department headed by SWKB, notified me this morning over coffee and I have been given the go ahead to procure one for the Bridgeport.
Leave it to Mi'Lady to squeeze the budget turnip. (Bless her)
It's been almost three years since I setup my hunk o' iron and found out the'X'-axis scale was busted all to h*ll. I've had a 'notifier' setup on ebay for over two years now for the Mitutoyo parts but nothing came up.
I won't be able to go top shelf so I'm looking at AliExpress. (as I have been for a couple years now...)

I'd like to start this thread to gather input and info from those that have bought an import set in last couple of years.
I've been searching through the site but the threads regarding DRO's are scattered all over.

Magnetic would definitely be the way to go, but since the budget is limited - I'm thinking of a 1μm 3-axis Glass Scale setup for ~$300.00
DroProshas (IMO), one of the best sites on the web for information and a very good warranty, but I can't afford the ~$700.00+ for a set.
(Would love to have their LCD panel offering.)

Kurt (@19E60) mentioned in another threadthat he bought this one -=- LINK -=-
EDIT: Eddy's (@Eddyde) Easson DRO Install <-- saw this just after I posted...
And I know there's a few more but can't find them. So I'm taking the easy way out and asking for assistance and input/info.
I'd like to procure one and get it installed and get it up and running ASAP. I've been limping along for too long.
I'm not any good at using the vernier dials with backlash, (don't have the touch) and have been scrapping too many pieces.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I searched "Machinist Digital Readout scales"on Ebay and came up with more choices than I really needed in the $300 +/- range, made a decision and am waiting for delivery. Perhaps you might be interested in the variety shown as well the dealer has a 99.4% reliability rating at Ebay so am hoping for the best.

I didn't see this Thread until this evening... Kinda of a duplicate of effort. :oops2:
What I'd really like to find out is experiences with specific sets. I remember a while back (1+ years ago) someone had bought a set and the reader heads were on rub blocks and not bearings.

Spent that last couple of days going at it and comparing every possible DRO I could find.
Going to need go cheap-cheap, and get the Siton 3-Axis Kit. Wish I could go top-shelf but that isn't the case. :(
Late last night when I finally packed it in it was at $294 ...
Get up this morning, grab coffee, sit down and refreshed the page and it was $425.00. The dogs cowered when I let out a cry of angst.
Took all day but finally in the last half an hour the price has dropped back down. Pheeeew.

I hope these scales are decent.... :grin:

Look at the touch dro option (google it). Start off with the igaging readers if you are in a budget and add proper readers as you want to upgrade.

The touch dro software out performs even the top off the counter DROs on features, plus since it is using a tablet you have a wealth of other things you can do with it. How many other DROs can you browse these forums on

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The description is for .001mm scales but the photos show .005mm scales. I’m curious which one they are shipping.
It’s a great price either way

Look at the touch dro option (google it). Start off with the igaging readers if you are in a budget and add proper readers as you want to upgrade.
The touch dro software out performs even the top off the counter DROs on features, plus since it is using a tablet you have a wealth of other things you can do with it. How many other DROs can you browse these forums on
Most definitely. I've been lusting to install TouchDRO for a couple of years now. I have a great 10" tablet sitting here ready to be put to use. I had a line on some used scales a couple of years ago and Yuriy helped a great deal trying to figure out if they would work. I couldn't determine the mfg of the scales - found them at a 'used equipment dealer' and he'd received them in a big lot of items.
I was looking at Ditron scales also back in late '16, and they came out to (funny enough) $293.00. The iG Absolutes came out to ~$285.
I want to get Yuriy's fully assembled board @~$80, so I'll be putting that off onto the next wish list. I stressed the budget with the ALoris BXA purchase and need to get some holders.
I figure that with this set I can get it up and running and use the head for the time being and then purchase Yuriy's Pre-fabbed board.
I've been making do with a short iGaging scale on the 'X' currently and using the 'Y' on the old Mitutoyo.

That's the vendor I bought from, it was a good experience and the DRO works great.
The description is for .001mm scales but the photos show .005mm scales. I’m curious which one they are shipping.
It’s a great price either way
I recently bought the same read head with .005 mm scales from the same seller.
-=- LINK -=-
You might want to consider the coarse scales. 0.0002 inch resolution is more than you can expect from a manual mill.
Greg
- @Eddyde , & @Greg, How was the mounting hardware guys? I'm mostly interested in the 'guards' so that I can avoid having to fabricate any. I figure I'll be able to utilize parts of the mounts holding the Mitutoyo and then fab the 'Z' from scratch.

- @Jeff, Yeah, their pictures and documentation leave a lot to be desired at times. they better be 1μm...

- @Greg, I figure to go with the 1μm's mostly due to paranoia. I read something, somewhere else, one or two years ago about the scales being out of calibration at the outer ends and there was a reply with someone hypothesizing, that the manufacturer was having difficulties with the 5μm's. I'm going to assume that their mfg processes have improved the last couple of years.
5μm's are more than adequate given my skill level, but having 36" of travel and only @~$20 per scale I'm might contradict my whining about the budget, and go for the 1μm's, maybe, perhaps. Heck, I may change my mind when I finally order it this afternoon or tomorrow.

Thank you gang for responding - I appreciate it. Hearing that y'all bought from Siton relieves my mind a great deal.

Dan,
The mounting kit contained cast aluminum brackets. Though they looked sturdy enough, I opted to not use them and make my own mounting system. Mainly because I want to eventually use the scales for CNC retrofit and felt I should make installation as robust as possible. I also got the 1μm scales and for the same reason, eventual CNC... If I was only going to use the mill manually, I would have used the included brackets and ordered the 5μm scales.
Although I bought the Eason unit from Siton, the scales and hardware look to be the exactly same as the ones in your link and the uncharge for the 1μm's was the same, $20 apiece.

Back