DRO for Vertical Mill or Lathe - Info & experiences

Bob

reduces travel and has the chance of being crushed if not Carefull
Flimsy mounting and poor protection of the scales will not be allowed. The proof will be in the final results. At some point I need to stop thinking, talking and listening and get to work. Pretty soon, but not without a complete plan...
Protection of the front mounted scales is my concern as well especially since I have a small hoist in front of the mill. Moper361 has good idea about this and I am trying to decide on steel or aluminum angles; max length about 26.5 inches. On all but the quill the reading sensor will be on the bottom, which I think will avoid some problems. Hope the weather warms a little so I can get brave enough to go out tol the shop.
Have a good day
Ray

I've always mounted the scales on the back side of the mill table. Protecting the scale, I've used 1/8" thick x 3" wide flat bar to 1-1/4" angle. I really don't care for those flimsy guards they send with the DRO you buy today to use on the mill. Make it beefy so it can take a blunt hit from what ever that may fall in the direction of the scale.

Protection of the front mounted scales is my concern as well especially since I have a small hoist in front of the mill. Moper361 has good idea about this and I am trying to decide on steel or aluminum angles; max length about 26.5 inches.
Right now I am considering using 1/8" wall x 1" on three sides aluminum channel to cover the X axis scale, with caps on the ends for more rigidity. My "slim" X scale will fit inside of it with room to spare.

Right now I am considering using 1/8" wall x 1" on three sides aluminum channel to cover the X axis scale, with caps on the ends for more rigidity. My "slim" X scale will fit inside of it with room to spare.
That's sounds like a plan. May need to hit the MetalsSupermart up in Knoxville next week.

Oh so close. How the devil can they afford to send 'em via Air?
I figured it would be sailing over.

1520178168330.png

DRO Delivery Day, or 3D for short.
Made good time. Shipped on 03-01 and it's going to get delivered today 03-08....
/me anxious? heck no... not at all - much.

-EDIT-
Arrived. Very well packaged. The boxes are double-thick corrugated, and they wrapped them entirely in tape.
No dings, dents, or damage. Everything is functioning.
Meanwhile the weather, it's 38° and has been snow flurry-ing all morning. Might be freezing my digits off if I get around to installing today.

Siton_DRO01_r.jpgSiton_DRO04_r.jpg

1520522945394.png

Siton_DRO02_r.jpg

Siton_DRO03_r.jpg

Last edited:
Installation *DELAYED*. The Bijur One-Shot Meter Valves were all clogged except for two. Did manage to get them back in service.
I noticed that the table wasn't getting any lube when I was checking it out for travel.
Will have to make a new thread on that when time permits. Want to go put it back together and start on the DRO install.

DRO Delivery Day, or 3D for short.
Made good time. Shipped on 03-01 and it's going to get delivered today 03-08....
/me anxious? heck no... not at all - much.

-EDIT-
Arrived. Very well packaged. The boxes are double-thick corrugated, and they wrapped them entirely in tape.
No dings, dents, or damage. Everything is functioning.
Meanwhile the weather, it's 38° and has been snow flurry-ing all morning. Might be freezing my digits off if I get around to installing today.

View attachment 261151View attachment 261154
GREAT!! Mine is supposed to arrive Tuesday. As of late yesterday, it was in St. Louis.

Regards,
Terry

GREAT!! Mine is supposed to arrive Tuesday. As of late yesterday, it was in St. Louis.

Regards,
Terry
What the devil is it doing is St. Louis?!!!! Who is the Carrier?

Last edited:
Oops. Not St. Louis. Louisville. No idea why it's there, either. It's shipping UPS.

Hope mine arrives in same condition as yours. You satisfied so far?

Regards,
Terry

Back