DRO for Vertical Mill or Lathe - Info & experiences

I've been thinking about a 2 axis dro for my 12x36 lathe. I have PM machines, so I have been debating on an eBay special verses the PM 2 axis $399 kit. Is there an advantage to these mentioned above? I have a PM branded DRO on my mill, but I just don't have anything to compare it to. Its worked fine for me though. I guess the lathe version comes with all the mounting hardware? I wish PM had them preinstalled on the 1236's when I bought mine, I love the Mill with the 3 axis that came ready to go.

Reactions: tjb
Mine should be here tomorrow. Dan (middle-road) already received his 3-axis but has not yet installed it. Bob Korves received his some time back. I don't think he's installed his yet either, but he knows others who have installed already and are satisfied.

I ordered a 2-axis DRO for my 13x40 lathe - $179.84 delivered. If it shows up tomorrow, it will be exactly three weeks from the day I ordered. But they tell you that up front.

Follow this thread and also 'Accuremote or igaging'. You'll get all the info you need as well as comparisons to some other options that are out there. Bob gives all the contact information about 12 posts down on the 'Accuremote...' thread.

Regards,
Terry

Oops. Not St. Louis. Louisville. No idea why it's there, either. It's shipping UPS.

Hope mine arrives in same condition as yours. You satisfied so far?

Regards,
Terry
UPS has it's main air terminal in Louisville KY.

For the price - heck yeah. I have a spreadsheet going back three years and the cost has come down quite a bit.
The kit is a tad shy of mounting brackets and there wasn't one supplied for the display head but heck we've got material and time.
Looking at all the other kits out there that appears to be the norm.
At ~$100.00 / axis you can't really complain.
I would like to find more detailed information/drawings for mounting the scales. I sent Wilson a message.
So far I've only found the one drawing in the listing showing mounting dimensions. I scrounged around for more but have come up empty.
I would love to see some other's picts of their installs.

Going to try to install today. Couldn't get any traction in the shop yesterday. I had an old bracket from an Accu-Trak system for the 'Y'-Axis.
Managed to find it after it's been bouncing around the shop for years, and then promptly mis-placed it. Haven't seen it since Friday. The gremlins grabbed it and hid it real good. The leftover from the Mitutoyo is a bit 'light', but I'll probably end up reusing it.
Weather today is cruddy, rain and snowing, although the sun is attempting to punch through..

Reactions: tjb

For the price - heck yeah. I have a spreadsheet going back three years and the cost has come down quite a bit.
The kit is a tad shy of mounting brackets and there wasn't one supplied for the display head but heck we've got material and time.
I would like to find more detailed information/drawings for mounting the scales. I sent Wilson a message.
So far I've only found the one drawing in the listing showing mounting dimensions. I scrounged around for more but have come up empty.

Going to try to install today. Couldn't get any traction in the shop yesterday. I had an old bracket from an Accu-Trak system for the 'Y'-Axis.
Managed to find it after it's been bouncing around the shop for years, and then promptly mis-placed it. Haven't seen it since Friday. The gremlins grabbed it and hid it real good. The leftover from the Mitutoyo is a bit 'light', but I'll probably end up reusing it.
Weather today is cruddy, rain and snowing, although the sun is attempting to punch through..
If you locate any info that might be helpful for mounting, I sure would appreciate your sharing. I'll do the same if I come up with anything. Anxious to hear how your installation goes. Good luck.

P.S.: I'm pretty sure I know where your bracket is. Showed up over the weekend in my shop. Had no idea what it was or where it came from. Thanks for the heads up.

Regards

Delivery update: Left Nome at 4:20 PM. No wait. That was Nashville.

Man, we lost a few posts drat-it-all.
I'll start off re-posting what I can remember.
Here's a sketch of dimensions that are missing.
Bottom side of the read head, the (4)-threaded M4 holes, and the hole pattern for the Display Head Panel.
The Display Head mounting surface has an angle of 65° on it.

I've got my 'Y'-Axis installed, and started on the 'X' but there is a bow of over .020" on the rail when I clamped it to the table.

Siton_DRO_DIMS_001.jpg

Whoa. What are you going to do? (Shim, maybe?)
Not sure yet. The 'bow' is 'away' from the table. Finally heading into the shop on this beautiful day an am going to ponder it.

1521164323323.png

Last edited:
Here's a pict of it. Doesn't really show up unless you squint. Not sure what to do about this...

0314182110b-C.jpg

Interesting. I'm going to be joining you first time DRO installers. I took advantage of the 20% eBay coupon last week and my DRO is getting here Monday. From Hong Kong. Thought for sure I'd be waiting a bit. Hopefully my scales are straight. Not sure what to do about that.

Back