DRO install on LC-30A (RF-30 clone)

Huh, interesting. Being entirely entirely DRO-challenged I’ve never really seen how those things worked before. Cool.

-f

Thanks Frank, it’s been a learning experience for me on many levels.
Designing the layout, maximizing the use of the supplied brackets and the actual installation.
Before starting I’d never drilled and tapped a hole. Now I can say that I’ve got a dozen under my belt.

I have to say that the cast iron is bloody hard to drill even with a brand new HSS drill bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say that the cast iron is bloody hard to drill even with a brand new HSS drill bit.
I found it pretty easy to drill, it seemed to me to drill and tap easier than steel. I was sort of dreading it from what I was hearing and it went way easier than I expected.

Have you watched this video?

I do have some scrap iron that is harder than hell. HSS won't touch it in any sort of effective way. It is almost like it was quenched after dropping out of the sand.

I found it pretty easy to drill, it seemed to me to drill and tap easier than steel. I was sort of dreading it from what I was hearing and it went way easier than I expected.

Have you watched this video?

I do have some scrap iron that is harder than hell. HSS won't touch it in any sort of effective way. It is almost like it was quenched after dropping out of the sand.
I definitely have grey cast iron, I'm just a bit surprised that it's so hard to drill. Actually the table was significantly harder than the base or even the cross slide.

I had no issues drilling the holes for my DRP Pro install, and was likewise surprised how easily that was accomplished.
The DRO Pro site has a sheet available you can print that lists all the bits and taps you need to install their setup.
I ordered them all from Grainger for under $35.

Well after a long work week I took some time to progress the DRO install.
Got the table back on, reinstalled the Y-axis scale and reader and attached the X-axis reader.
Mounted the display unit.
Checked the display against the dials and it’s dead on which makes me happy.
Acid test will be with a DTI though.

All that’s left is the Y-axis.
afad854b938ed545a818a9c9827a0f8e.jpg

169e3c8e1005161be87c168be931b1f2.jpg

a4e824ee2e69e36a0e393572bee47379.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks [mention]Shootymacshootface [/mention]

I’m learning a ton doing this.

Looking good David.

Too bad you didn't try getting along without the DRO for a while because you can't get the full appreciation of when you go DRO. Even though I have the iGaging setup it's made my life so much easier and my work so much more accurate. I think my first upgrade was the X drive. Now THAT was a big upgrade from doing it all by hand. I did that a year before the DRO.

Looking good David.

Too bad you didn't try getting along without the DRO for a while because you can't get the full appreciation of when you go DRO. Even though I have the iGaging setup it's made my life so much easier and my work so much more accurate. I think my first upgrade was the X drive. Now THAT was a big upgrade from doing it all by hand. I did that a year before the DRO.

I definitely see your point.
I did make a set of T-nuts without it and that was what made me realize that I needed the ability to have more precision.

Back