DRO layout

Groundhog

Registered
Registered
I'm planning on getting a DRO for my Central Machinery 12x36 lathe. I've pretty much researched all I think I need to to make the decision on which type/brand/supplier.

I still have one problem. The way ball oilers on the saddle will be covered by the scale. The oilers are only about 0.30" from the cross slide.

My only idea is to take everything apart, drill new oil holes and install a new pair of ball oilers. And I really don't want to do that. I've spent a lot of time getting gibs, backlash, etc adjusted just how I like it.

Any other ideas?

lathe head 1.jpg oiler 2.jpg oiler 3.jpg

My ball oilers are not covered by my cross slide DRO scale, but I do not use them. I just apply oil from the oil can on the top of the ways, then move the carriage back and forth to spread the oil. I think this is easier than drilling new holes.

I thought about that. It's how I kept the ways lubricated on my old lathe. However, this lathe has good wipers that would squeegee some of the oil off before it got under the saddle. I could remove (or modify) the wipers, but would rather not.
Just hoping somebody has a magic idea!

There is another option, you can get some heavy wiper felt and put it between the wipes and the carriage. The felt absorbs the oil and retains it, as well as add an additional barrier to contamination. I do this for all my wipers, I oil them in addition to the oil holes, but I find that the felt retains the oil and the ways stay wetter.

You also loose your cross slide lock, my solution is in the picture below, which used a threaded bronze lock. I use it all the time.

Grade F1 Pressed Wool Felt Sheet, White, Meets SAE J314, 1/4" Thickness, 12"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QXH4EK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
20170614_214110.jpg
20170614_214042.jpg

Back