DRO: Mixing Mag and Glass Scales?

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My buddy asked me this and I've no clue. I searched but didn't find the answer. Either it's possible but not advisable or not possible which may be why I haven't found the answer. :p Can a glass scale and a magnetic scale both be used into the same display head (both being same brand)? Thanks.

Last edited:
Should be no problem as long as the scales output the same signals as the DRO is compatible with. Brand doesn't even matter, you can mix that as well.

Hey Will. Yeah, I meant same signal(s) not really brand.

I probably should have just answered simply yes. Most of all the scales made these days all use the same signal. :)

I probably should have just answered simply yes. Most of all the scales made these days all use the same signal. :)
Yes, most use a quadrature signal usually marked A and B in the wiring. However some have an extra Z index signal which is triggered at set positions along the scale, this improves the positioning at high speed. The display unit might require this.
Also check the voltage requirement (usually 5V) of the scale against the spec sheet of the display unit.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Love the new mag tubes...so much easier to install.

Back