[Newbie] DRO newby needs help

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The price of an Igaging 3 read out unit as advertised by Any Time Tools caught my interest but I have questions.
First my shop is not heated full time so the temperature can vary from 0` F and occasionally lower, and up to 95` F. I have a battery powered scale on the quill (Z axis ?) but it will not work in the cold.
2. There has been some blogs about BluDRO and it's improvement in DRO performance. Reading this information led to Android specifications which I certainly don't understand, looking at Wal-mart I notice units with 5.6 and higher also with "marshmallow" advertised at the lower price. What is a "marshmallow"?
3. After further research, a seller on Ebay "Chargerangel" has a 3 axis read out listed (higher dollar) and it shows what I think is a receptical for 120 VAC on the back of the case. This seems to be a "plug and play" unit similar to that discussed by Bob Korves.. Any input about the DRO or the seller would be appreciated.
My Enco mill/drill has an 8" x 26" table so that has entered into my evaluation of the Clausing 8520 on CL in Grand Junction CO but I believe a 3 axis DRO would be an improvement on either machine.

Android Marshmallow is version 6.0. There are a number of cheap devices now that are that or newer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

I'm leaning toward getting a "normal" DRO from aliexpress when my lathe gets here so I can measure the travel. My reasons are that I can get higher accuracy, up to 1um. The scales come cut to the lengths I ask for, and look to be more reliable. The cost ends up similar, once I buy all the bits I need for touchDRO, a bit more, but not 2x+. And if I later decide I would prefer the touchDRO or my display unit breaks, I can go that way later with the existing scales.

Any input about the DRO or the seller would be appreciated.
http://blu-dro.com/
I have little knowledge of the details of the system. It does have good reviews, at least the ones I looked at. It is fairly new hardware. Look for actual user reviews after some time in use. I let go of it when it appeared it would end up costing about the same as a known and proven Chinese 3 axis system with glass scales. If I planned to have DROs on more than one machine, or already had an Android tablet, that may well have changed my preferences.

With the current trend toward using virtually unreplaceable batteries in Android smart phones, there should be an ample supply. I would think that a request to friends and family would turn up a bunch of free phones.
A phone with a dead battery is useless as a phone but plugged into a charger, it makes a nice TouchDRO display. For my part, I repurposed my old phone which made it easier to reconcile getting a new phone just because a battery failed (kind of like selling the car because the ashtray is full).
My new phone has a user replaceable battery.

Back