DRO on my new PM 1236

Its hard for me to judge anymore, thats all I deal with, looks normal to me ha ha

They sell PM branded DROs & Easson DROs. Easson was $200-300 more than the PM branded ones. I'm assuming the PM ones are re-branded Chinese DRO. I was actually on the phone with Matt today & asked him the difference. Mostly it's the display, Easson has a PC type display with rendered graphics, the PM one is just a multi-segment LED like on your microwave that only displays numbers.
When I got my 1127 a few years ago, they were using SINO DRO’s. I haven’t had any problems with it, but I wish the manual/interface was easier to understand.

I found that the videos from DRO PROS were the most useful to me as a total DRO noob. They are mostly using 3 axis mill units, but the basic functions are the same. Like using the REF memory, finding center, changing reading direction, SDM points etc. There are youtube videos covering lathes. The Easson is similiar to the PM branded one. I just got mine last week on a mill, so I'm just scratching the surface. But, now I want DRO on my 1236! It never ends....

I found the enclosed manual lacking as well but did find the PM had a much more detailed manual on their site:

http://www.precisionmatthews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/ES12B-Manual-Reduced.pdf

Still attempting to figure this unit out myself. So I can’t be much more help. But hopefully the larger and more detailed manual will make more sense...

One of the first things that confused me is that it was set up for X & Y axis instead of X & Z. That is the standard “lathe” setting on this unit. I suppose one could reset the unit into “Mill” mode to get the Z for longitude. Thinking about doing that myself just to keep the axis nominclature standard so that when I purchase my mill next year I don’t confuse myself

I found the enclosed manual lacking as well but did find the PM had a much more detailed manual on their site:

http://www.precisionmatthews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/ES12B-Manual-Reduced.pdf

Still attempting to figure this unit out myself. So I can’t be much more help. But hopefully the larger and more detailed manual will make more sense...

One of the first things that confused me is that it was set up for X & Y axis instead of X & Z. That is the standard “lathe” setting on this unit. I suppose one could reset the unit into “Mill” mode to get the Z for longitude. Thinking about doing that myself just to keep the axis nominclature standard so that when I purchase my mill next year I don’t confuse myself
If you want a different X or Y, you just change the cable inputs right?

I've only used a mill dro and on mine Z is used for the column and the quill has its own dro built in. I'm guessing with a lathe you make the carriage X and the cross slide Y?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing with a lathe you make the carriage X and the cross slide Y?

The convention for machine tools is to set the axis moving parallel to the spindle rotational axis as Z, so carriage is Z, cross slide is X

Just remember all the same issues exist as using the dials. You still need to mic it, take spring passes after heavy passes, etc. On non critical stuff I admit I don't always mic it once I have the basic cuts down. Things like turning a threaded stud for a generic non critical application. Now making a pivot shoulder bolt you better mic it and sneak up on the shoulder dimensions.

On a really critical diameter I'll mic it two or three times and reset the DRO as needed so I can "know" when I am getting close.

I'm guessing with a lathe you make the carriage X and the cross slide Y?

The convention for machine tools is to set the axis moving parallel to the spindle rotational axis as Z, so carriage is Z, cross slide is X
Got it...

I found this note in the accu-rite manual too.

Note: On a lathe the x-axis is the diameter (cross slide) andthe z-axis is the longitudinal. When lathe parts are inspected they are set up vertically and therefore, the lengthbecomes the height and the diameter is checked horizon-
tally.

If you want a different X or Y, you just change the cable inputs right?

I've only used a mill dro and on mine Z is used for the column and the quill has its own dro built in. I'm guessing with a lathe you make the carriage X and the cross slide Y?

Yes, you change the cables. But you also have to reset the unit and set it up as a mill, otherwise the display doesn't show the Z axis. At least that is what I have gathered from reading thru the manual. I haven't tried it yet. Maybe tonight. If there is a way to leave the display showing only the X and Z axis without reconfiguration, that would be preferable. I am all ears if someone knows how to do so. I prefer to keep the standard axis nomenclatures in place myself as well...

Back