Dro Z Axis - Quill Or Head?

The Z-axis handle on my 12Z doesn't even have a dial for reading anything, so I'm sure the creators intended it for coarse positional use anyway. But with the addition of the DRO, I manage. I do like the idea of summing the two like Bjorn commented about above.

the head position on the column seems to be a very coarse adjustment

Despite the size of the 12Z & PM940, the RF45 style machines are still considered benchtop mill drills as are all the other similar smaller Asian import mills. Mill drills weren't designed to use the head as a fine feed like you could use the knee on a knee mill. Of course that doesn't mean you can't use it that way. As we all know, RF30/31s can't be used this way at all in the stock form.

DROs aren't a necessity. So if you think about how you would use a mill drill without a DRO. There is no dial for the head adjustment like there is a dial for the knee on a knee mill. Mill drills have a fine feed handwheel that does have a dial on it (although the one on mine is good for nothing). I have used my head for milling to depth but not often, I find it more awkward & an inconvenience. It's quicker for me to just use the quill but I always rough adjust the head & keep my quill extension as short as possible.

When I wanted to add a scale (4th axis for my DRO display) I also wanted to get an axes summing box. I was looking at the one from Accurite but it wasn't cheap. I was glad to see M-DRO come out with one later for much cheaper but at that time I was over it. I actually purchased my lathe DRO display from M-DRO/Allendale.

Interesting comment about how you can't see how you could use the column for precision positioning. I can, and have controlled DOC to tenths using the head/column interface. Just an observation, not a critique. Use what's comfortable for you. :)

You can drill a hole to within 10ths using the big crank handle on the column? I'm thinking not my friend. ;)

Side cutting only. Easy. No plunge cuts using the big crank handle. Which is why I am putting a little digital dro on the quill exactly for that and plunge/pocket milling.

BTW, the Mitu quill scale & my quill depth stop are the best things I have added to my mill. A depth stop comes in very handy when you are making multiples of a part. I can't live without them.

Img_0284.jpg

Img_0292.jpg

Very nice depth stop, mine came with a depth stop but its a joke compared to yours. I do see your quill lock is missing or is that it on the right side?

Update: I have decided to return the DRO, I'm shipping it back tomorrow. Next Enco 20% off sale I'll pick up the Mitutoyo scale DZ is using on his quill.

Last edited:
Very nice depth stop, mine came with a depth stop but its a joke compared to yours. I do see your quill lock is missing or is that it on the right side?

Update: I have decided to return the DRO, I'm shipping it back tomorrow. Next Enco 20% off sale I'll pick up the Mitutoyo scale DZ is using on his quill.

Thanks. Yes, my quill lock is on the right side. I have a power downfeed model so there was no depth stop feature. I used to use the power down feed limit as a depth stop but it wasn't designed to be used that way & it would only repeat 10 thou if I was lucky. My custom depth stop repeats to a thou no problem.

I searched long & hard for a depth stop mod on a RF45 style mill & came up with nothing. I've always wondered about that scale thing in the middle of the faceplate on the non-PDF models. I couldn't find anyone talking about it. Can it be used as depth stop? If yes, how does it work?

BTW, you sure about the DRO return? I personally think a DRO is much more useful on a mill than on a lathe. Despite your CNC mission, if I could only have a DRO on one machine it would be on the mill without question.

This what I use simple and low cost and works GREAT

Thanks. Yes, my quill lock is on the right side. I have a power downfeed model so there was no depth stop feature. I used to use the power down feed limit as a depth stop but it wasn't designed to be used that way & it would only repeat 10 thou if I was lucky. My custom depth stop repeats to a thou no problem.

I searched long & hard for a depth stop mod on a RF45 style mill & came up with nothing. I've always wondered about that scale thing in the middle of the faceplate on the non-PDF models. I couldn't find anyone talking about it. Can it be used as depth stop? If yes, how does it work?

BTW, you sure about the DRO return? I personally think a DRO is much more useful on a mill than on a lathe. Despite your CNC mission, if I could only have a DRO on one machine it would be on the mill without question.

Attachments

• dro-z-quill-of-mill.pdf
    633.2 KB · Views: 98
I will toss in my Noob observation based on about a month of using my G0759 that has the DRO on the head and a simple LCD DRO on the quill.

I move the head almost exclusively so I can use the larger brighter and easier for my old eyes to see. The LCD on the quill is not very easy to read because it is smaller and LCD and not back lit.

Jim

Back