DRO Z scale

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
On my Bridgeport the casting is curved near the knee. So the scale can't lay flat like X/Y do. Does anyone have some pics showing how you installed it?

There is a flat area near the edge, but it's short. Maybe 1/2". I thought about putting some spacers on that and mounting the scale that way.

I started by mounting a 1/2 X 2 aluminum bar to the mill. I ground the underside till I got it to lay flat and square. Mounted with two bolts and about 1/8" stand off.

Here is a picture of mine, this originally mounted the glass scale before I converted to magnetic scales . The 1/2 x 2 1/2 aluminum bar is bolted to the column. Note the small jack screws on either side of the socket head cap screws. These allow adjustment of the bar square to the knee travel on a tapered column. The jack screws must be placed as shown for them to work properly.

1530589318535.png

Thanks for the tips! Looks like I should pick up some aluminum bar stock.

Update. Got the scale installed and indicated to about 2 thou on both sides. These are what I came up with.

Screenshot_2018-07-07-21-15-50.png

20180707_211153.jpg

If I were to do it again, I would try to make it possible to adjust them without taking the scale off. Made for a lot of on/off while I dialed it in. Still need to connect the read head to the knee, but I'm getting close to a fully functional DRO.

Back