DRO's, which display type to choose?

And there are multiple DB9 pin outs used. I have run into this. Not only are some assigned differently, there are three signal configurations. In addition to power and ground, there are A and B. Or A, B, and R, Or A, B, R, A', B', and R'. Generally the cheapest scales are the simplest. Pins 1-4, +,-,A,B. The SNS I now use are that way, and I verified before ordering the second. By having all the same, I can mix-n-match displays and read-heads as needed.

Thanks for all the help folks. Looks like my best bet is to find a 'set' or 'kit' being sold with scales and display. Will likely go with the big LCD display.

I am no expert by any means, purchased my lathe DRO from Ebay Asian vendor. Like it but the glass scales are rather large for mounting on small equipment (14x40 lathe).

There is another thread on here Post #166, shows a scale that is a magnetic strip covered by a SS protective sheet strip and the reader is stationary. Very clean installation on a mill. When I get my mill I may go with this style. Wish I had seen this before I purchased one for my lathe, but it probably costs more too.

Here is the link to the thread.

I bought the LCD for the mill and ended up with the LED for the lathe. The LCD hands down is easier to read particularly if your work area is well lit as it should be. The LED's just wash out and are hard to read in bright light. I may put a shade over the display to see if that helps but will likely buy another LCD display in the future and replace it even though most of the features will go unused on it.

Back