Drummond Tailstock Handwheel Identification

Hi Thanks for the input, The capstan wheel is exactly the thing although it relies on gravity rather than a "captive" wheel. This is the plan I ended up using, albeit I used a different method of achieving the same thing. Very Heath Robinson as I didn't have a tailstock AND I am just learning.
It will be fun to see how the more accurate metalworking skills transfer to my woodworking!!!
The digger is here;
looking forward to playing with that.....lots of seals and leaks to fix.
Thanks again....

tailstock collar plan.JPG

Can't help with the lathe, but nice score on the backhoe. Those were good machines. A little on the light side for my tastes, but they were able to get in and out of wet places the heavier machines would get bogged down in. When you start in on fixing leaking seals and such, I would suggest you go to a generic supplier, as the cost from Case will give you sticker shock. Here is an example of one of the options http://www.industrypacking.com/. I'm sure you will find similar in your area. Cheers, Mike

Hi Thanks for the input, The capstan wheel is exactly the thing although it relies on gravity rather than a "captive" wheel. This is the plan I ended up using, albeit I used a different method of achieving the same thing. Very Heath Robinson as I didn't have a tailstock AND I am just learning.
It will be fun to see how the more accurate metalworking skills transfer to my woodworking!!!
The digger is here;
looking forward to playing with that.....lots of seals and leaks to fix.
Thanks again....

That is exactly the system employed on my Sagar tailstock, and it works flawlessly. The one downside on mine is I am unable to free the collar and of course there's no way to grab on to it to prise it out. Other than that, it's a great system!

-frank

The Drummond/Myford Yahoo group was a great resource when I had my Myford "M" series. So, you might want to check them out. The Myford "M" had the exact same setup of tailstock operation. I'll see if I can dig up some photos.

Back