Dual fuel portable generators question

The old Homelite will become a 'lender' cause I ain't lending my new generator(s).

I made that mistake, lending my Honda to a friend. He never returns anything, so he still had it when the power went out. Same guy who beat the hell out of my electric splitter. We are friends again, but he doesn't ask to borrow my stuff anymore. I don't lend my chainsaws, generators or wife to anyone, don't even ask.

Whenever we lend something the psychological message is that we don't need it. It is also tacit recognition that the borrower needs it more than we do.
I absolutely abhor having to run after something I lent to get it back soooo....I don't.

Yes, but sometimes the person who needs to borrow is an in-law ;)

I will rent or borow a tool once, If I need it again that means that I need one and so I go out and acquire one. Sometime the budget has me getting a sub standard one that needs to be upgraded in the future. There are only certain people that I will loan out a big or expensive tool to.

Last edited:
Yes, but sometimes the person who needs to borrow is an in-law ;)
When that happens they get me with it, so I can bring it home in one piece when the job is finished. It shows that I am attached to my stuff. Only way I know to keep stuff I want to keep. There are exceptions but they are rare.

I made that mistake, lending my Honda to a friend. He never returns anything, so he still had it when the power went out. Same guy who beat the hell out of my electric splitter. We are friends again, but he doesn't ask to borrow my stuff anymore. I don't lend my chainsaws, generators or wife to anyone, don't even ask.
The trouble with us DIY folks who like tools and buy what we need, sometimes more than we need, is we look like a tool smorgasbord to our friends and family.

Oh, I'm definitely not one to lend out tools as I'd rather they bring their project to me since that allows me to actually fix their problem most times.

There are a few people I will lend tools to but they are a select few whom I trust to bring them back. I did lend my Dremel to one of my wife's friend who is normally very trustworthy. Just had to replace it because after 7 months I don't think it's coming back. I do however expect a nice assortment of homemade jam from her this winter:grin:

In the case of a generator I'm thinking along the lines of someone who has a freezer full of venison:eagerness:

John

I had a friend who suggested a system where I could "rent" various portable tooling out. The key was to get a "deposit" that was enough to purchase a new whatever. The deposit would be returned when the tool was returned in working order. It never got off the ground, my deposit was for a Milwaukee tool and the borrower would quote Harbor Freight prices. But it cut way down on the "can I borrow. . . " questions.

That is exactly how AutoZone rents tools, the deposit is equal to the purchase price. If you do not bring it back they just grab a new one to replace it and you just bought a used tool for new price.

Back