• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

Dual Run Capacitors for DIY RPC?

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Investigator

I'm looking at options and need to know if I can use dual run capacitors in place of typical run capacitors in an RPC build.

I think I can, by just connecting two wires, and not hooking up to the smaller uF terminal on the cap.

Am I correct that a 30/5 uF dual run capacitor will have 30 uF hooked up to HERM and COM, and that it will have 5 uF hooked up between F and Com? So I could use a dual run and only use 2 of the connections on top?

GA Gyro

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Yes, that is correct... I would only use 440V rated caps... or higher if you find them.

Having said that: HVAC and refrigeration grade run capacitors are not the best quality... I would have a couple of spares available.
You can also connect the 30 + 5 together, along with the common, and have a 35uF cap.
OTOH... not using the 5 segment, probably would put less load on the cap.

Investigator

Yes, that is correct... I would only use 440V rated caps... or higher if you find them.

Having said that: HVAC and refrigeration grade run capacitors are not the best quality... I would have a couple of spares available.
You can also connect the 30 + 5 together, along with the common, and have a 35uF cap.
OTOH... not using the 5 segment, probably would put less load on the cap.
How do you tell the difference in HVAC/Refrigeration grade capacitors?

GA Gyro

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Most of the 'run' caps (single and dual value) I see, are HVAC/refrigeration quality (mass produced and sold very price competitive.
Start caps seem to be better quality.

IMO... this is a place to 'buy American'... :)
As the cheap ones (read that low quality) are almost always from a place which is in a significantly different time zone than we are... grin!

[6]
[5] [7]