Dumb Question About Lathe Chuck Key

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My new G4003G came with a couple of T-handle lathe chuck keys.

The t-handle is not pressed into place on either (some assembly required) and I'm wondering how much force it takes to press them together. The only press I have is a 2-ton arbor press and it didn't seem to be adequate.

I tried hammering and was worried about bending the handle.

Further, the "ribs" in the handle seem to be trying to "shave off" rather than trying to press into the hole.

I've seen the t-handle on some keys loosen up over time. Is there a tried and true method to assemble them so they stay together without welding?

Last edited:
There should be, or could be, a slight chamfer at the edge of the cross-hole to prevent the upsets from being "shaved" off. That they are indicates that the key body may be harder than the handle. You might try just adding a edge break to the hole and proceed on pressing it in.

I've never seen a chuck key come in two pieces. I guess it saves a little space.

Follow what Tony says but freeze the handle for a while prior to pressing. Worst case drill it out as close as possible and drill/tap in a setscrew on the end of the body.
Mike the handle to see if one end is smaller than the other for correct sequence (never seen this). Another option is to heat the body prior to pressing the handle.

Is it directional, i.e., are the ribs a tapered fit?

Tom

strange, my G0709 key came put together.

Freeze the cross piece, put the shaft in the oven and heat it up to 250F, handle with gloves, press it together.

Worst case is you bend the handle and have to spend $12.50 to buy a new chuck key that comes put together.
http://www.grizzly.com/parts/P4003G0006
http://www.grizzly.com/parts/P4003G0007

...or... call Grizzly CS and ask for a replacement.

Dollars to donuts that the chuck key was supposed to come assembled, but the 2359 whistle blew, the worker threw it in the tool chest and ran out the door.... after all, he had to be back at work at 0359, so he didn't want to waste any time...

EDIT: you should have 2 lathe keys; the 6" 3 jaw, the 8" 4 jaw.

Maybe you are trying to press the larger 4 jaw handle into the 3 jaw shaft?

Last edited:
grab a piece of scrap alum or brass. drill a hole 1/2 way through the size of the handle ...stick it on the end and hammer away

Thanks for the input everybody.

Didn't seem to make a difference as to which end of the handle, or which side of the key. Both were just a very tight fit.

It was obviously not a precision chuck key to start with, so I didn't mind abusing it a little. I was able to get the handle in by hammering. Mushroomed the end a little, but it won't ever be coming apart (unless the steel splits)! It will probably outlive me. :)

Probably would've been a simple task with a righteous press.

Next task is to fabricate a chuck key safety interlock. I've always been vigilant and have never started a lathe with the chuck key in, but have always been paranoid about it.

Studying the schematic now to see if there's a convenient place to break a connection and insert a micro switch. Maybe recreate the brake circuit as on the bigger lathes.

Thanks for the input everybody.

Didn't seem to make a difference as to which end of the handle, or which side of the key. Both were just a very tight fit.

It was obviously not a precision chuck key to start with, so I didn't mind abusing it a little. I was able to get the handle in by hammering. Mushroomed the end a little, but it won't ever be coming apart (unless the steel splits)! It will probably outlive me. :)

Probably would've been a simple task with a righteous press.

Next task is to fabricate a chuck key safety interlock. I've always been vigilant and have never started a lathe with the chuck key in, but have always been paranoid about it.

Studying the schematic now to see if there's a convenient place to break a connection and insert a micro switch. Maybe recreate the brake circuit as on the bigger lathes.

I See a lot of chuck keys come with a spring on the end to pop them out of the chuck when you let go of them.

Stuart

Update from OP:

The plot sickens.

I just opened the box for the 8in 4-jaw chuck for the first time. It's chuck key came assembled, and has a spring, and fits the 6in chuck.

So my chuck key safety interlock just dropped in priority.

Back