Dumb question on R8 (i think) spindle

My pin is not that far up inside the spindle, but it could on yours.

Can anyone tell me what the nose of there R8 spindle is at the widest point? I am seeing right around 30 mm.IMG_9441.jpg

Well that confuses me. I was all set to conclude that the pin sheared off and was galled into the bore creating high points and enlarged it but there is no way I can see the nose dimension being so far off

That is what I said before, something is off with that spindle. My R8's sit just under the end of the spindle, without the drawbar installed.

I was thinking some thing at the back was preventing the Collett from seating. I was debating cutting the rear of a Collett off to see if the taper mates up, taking the rear out of the equation

Here is the inside of my R8 spindle with the draw bar in place.
1610896603243.png
You can see it has a straight portion at the top, then an unfinished larger ID, then a taper at the bottom. I cannot tell from your original pic if yours looks like this? Can you get a better pic so we can verify it is an R8? It is possible that you have an R8 that is damaged so the collet is not seating properly accounting for the protrusion at the nose?
Robert

It is fairly hard to take photos inside with the clothes focus and darkness. Maybe another way of determining whether or not this is a damaged R8 or some thing else is to ask the question would any other likely candidate have a setscrew? I have ruled out MT2 MT3 MT4 by attempting to fit tapers of those dimension none come even close. I know nothing about Brown and sharp or other obscure tapers does one of them have a set screw?

Back