Dumb question on R8 (i think) spindle

I haven't read this whole thread, but are you sure the drawbar isn't bottoming out in the collet threads? Like too long of a drawbar? Forgive me if you have already checked it out.

Tom

It appears that your collet is not seating properly because it's not being drawn tight enough because the drawbar is too long, as suggested here by others. You might try putting bushings on the drawbar to see if that makes a difference. If it does - and it works - you're done. Or, if you're so inclined, you can purchase a properly sized drawbar. I had a similar situation once, and bushings fixed the problem.

Regards,
Terry

I am new to this machine so forgive me if this is a naïve question. If I only thread the draw bar in to the collet a known amount let’s say a half inch then I use the adjusting nut to draw the collet up how would there be a problem bottoming out?

How can I measure for appropriate fit?

IMG_9128.jpg

Perhaps more important if I tap the Collett up into the spindle with a dead blow as such I still cannot get it to seat any further than you see here. I really don’t know what may have happened to the spindle or if someone swapped some thing that is close to an R8 but not an R8. IMG_9129.jpg

That is my feeling too. Do you all think the grizley is the best option.

Do you have a borescope you look up the spindle with ?

This is what I have.

Do you have a piece of say 7/8" stock you could use to measure the inside from the top to the nose of the spindle ?
Maybe something is wedged in the top ?

Just for reference, this is holding an R8 in my spindle by hand, no drawbar.

Attachments

• 20210106_211556.jpg
    20210106_211556.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210106_211614.jpg
    20210106_211614.jpg
    827.3 KB · Views: 27
Back