Dumb question on R8 (i think) spindle

Guess safest to drop the quill. Its dumb but the only reason I hesitate is Enco appears to have used body filler and painted over the seam in the side cap 115+154 and I know its gonna chip and look crappy after oh well will do my best.

Attachments

• Photo Jan 09, 4 17 05 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 09, 4 17 05 PM.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • Photo Jan 09, 4 17 09 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 09, 4 17 09 PM.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
I think you will find that is standard practice on castings. Not just Enco. It's been done since the 1800s.

I know body filler is used. Did not know removable parts were smoothed over. New to owning big machines like this however.

I know body filler is used. Did not know removable parts were smoothed over. New to owning big machines like this however.

Before you tear it apart, have you taken any measurements of the inside to see if they approximate an R8 or MT taper?

Likewise assemble the intended collet and drawbar. Measure from the edge of the taper in the collet to where on the drawbar it would bear on the spindle. Compare that the actual distance from spindle nose to bearing surface on the top of the spindle.

Any revelations?

Yes I am but I still do not have a definitive answer. Without a doubt the taper is ugly. It looks as though there was calling and spinning of collects in the past. I gave it a light pass to knock down the high points but still the are eight Collett do not draw in nicely with finger pressure or the drawbar. At this point my two choices are

1. a new spindle from grizzly for $300. The bearing sizes seem to be the same between the two machines but I have no guarantee it will fit without modification

2. Look for someone to re-grind or repair my spindle. I have no idea whatsoever what this would cost or how difficult it would be. I am not far from Bridgeport Connecticut and there are still a lot of job shops around.

Any thoughts?

IMG_9408.jpg
IMG_9405.jpg

Back