Dumore Tool Post grinder

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
With the purchase of my Logan 820 I received a ton of stuff, including a Dumore 44 tool grinder mounted to the compound. I want to bring that back to life for tool sharpening, and am shopping for silicon carbide cutting wheels. I'm guessing the Dumore was purchased contemporaneously with the 820, new in 1943.
However, the Dumore needs, at a minimum, a new belt. I've written to Dumore for a parts diagram and operating instructions, but also want to see if anyone here has these and tips, warnings, or suggestions for me. It's a great piece, I would never have bought it on its own, but I'm thrilled to have it and want to use it.

TIA, I love this board!

Tim
20181117_102041.jpg20181117_102057.jpg20181117_102107.jpg20181117_102113.jpg

congrats on the new to you Dumore! :grin:
Ebay has tons of grinding wheels for you.

one tip off the top of my head...
light cuts (.0005"per side) and slow carriage advance will produce better finishes than heavy grinding and fast carriage speed
always wear eye protection

an assortment of different wheels will increase the capability of what you wish to use the grinder for.

the grinder is capable of doing both inside and outside grinding work.

you'll use relatively small high speed wheels for ID grinding and relatively larger wheels for OD grinding

use spindle oil to lubricate the spindle

Have lots a fun learning!!!

I also have a Dumore 44 TP grinder. I made a sleeve that goes over the mounting post that brings the grinder accurately to lathe center line height just by installing it under the motor/spindle assembly. Saves lots of setup time. The grinder works well, but they are not very rigid, so Ulma Doctor's advice for taking a light infeed is a very good idea if you want nice results. It does take some time. The work I have done with small internal wheels has been very slow due to flexible wheel shanks. O.D. grinding is a lot more rigid. Larger diameter internal grinding with more rigid setups would also probably work well. Very light spindle oil is correct for the spindle, due to the high RPM's. Just a few drops, don't fill it!

The manual for the grinder is downloadable free online from Dumore:
https://www.dumoretools.com/tool-post-grinders/series-44
https://www.dumoretools.com/documents/Tool-Post-Grinders-Dumore-Series-44-Operating-Instructions.pdf

The parts list is included with the operating instructions. Note the current price for one, $1,942.00 !!! Factory parts are probably equally pricey.

Good luck getting anything from Dumore. IMO they are the worst when it comes to customer service.

thanks all -- much appreciated. Getting the Dumore working is not near the top of my priority list right now...have too much core stuff to learn first! This is good though. I'll get the downloads and hang on to them.

Tim

Good luck getting anything from Dumore. IMO they are the worst when it comes to customer service.
Your service rep must have been in a bad mood - or mine was in a good mood. I ordered two wheels and a mounted point from them and got a note two days later that the package had shipped, along with the UPS tracking number.

A tool post grinder can be handy. BUT, it can also be a death call to the lathe it’s used on. The grinding swarf that it makes can destroy precision mating surfaces. When using, cover everything well! And I would get some white, pink and diamond wheels for it. Generic belts are easy to find. Good Luck…Dave

Belts from William Sopko company. Silicon carbide wheels are not for steel, get aluminum oxide.

Back