Dunlap/craftsman band saw

Been looking into how to slow this band saw down for metal cutting while still being able to cut wood. The spindle on the band saw sticks out from the shroud 2.5." This is long enough for the existing pulley and another pulley to fit on the spindle. So my current plan is to have the existing pulley which turns out to be 7" and a 11.75" pulley on the spindle. The 11.75" pulley is the largest size pulley that will fit. Then there will be a jack shaft with a 13.75" pulley combined with a 2.45" pulley. Why the odd 2.45 pulley? Surplus Center seems to have the best prices on pulleys. I have not yet checked Ebay to see what is available there. 2.45 was the smallest size pulley that used the same 3/4" shaft size as the 13.75" pulley which was the largest size for a 3/4" shaft. The drive pulleys on the motor are 2", 3" & 4." The reduction is 2" motor driving 13.75" with the combined 2.45" driving the 11.75" for the slowest sfpm.
When I want to cut wood I will have the current pulley set up. When I want to cut metal I'll take off the belt for wood cutting and put on the belts for metal cutting.
Wood cutting sfpm will be 1701, 2551 & 3402. Metal cutting sfpm will be 180, 271 & 361.
That's the current plan. My plans though are always cast in sand at low tide and subject to change.

This is just in the thinking stage. I'll have pic's when I actually do it. Probably be a couple of months. Lots of other projects in the works.

Back