Dust Collector input/design/ and plans

Wdnich

Active User
Registered
I acquired a forced air blower, from one of these blow up jump houses. Small in footprint. The impeller housing is ideal for conversion to a dust collector. The isolated motor, and quiet operation is what got me to thinking. Has anyone done their own designed dust collector? Some input, thoughts, and considerations I need to take into account would be greatly appreciated.

I will be interested in any replys or suggestions to your post as well. Not sure what your application is but im guessing bench/pedestal/surface grinder. I too have a blower (Dayton) just waiting for my time and attention to cobble something together for a surface and pedestal grinder. Hoping to create a little "dirty ops" area in the corner segregated and lightly sealed off from rest of my shop. Until then these machines are pretty un usable in a basement setting.
Fwiw the little research ive done, adequate airflow cfm - after losses from ducting is key. Best way air flow wise seems to be direct exhaust outside, skipping the filer media just go thru a cyclone for the big stuff then on to the great outdoors. Of course this option requires make up air and that brings its own issues.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415986847.935996.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415986887.992264.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415986847.935996.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415986887.992264.jpg

Thanks just the lines of what I was thinking about. I have some starboard laying around, that I can frame up the housing with. I checked the blower I have and it is rated 1150 cfm, so air flow is more than adequate. I will probably go the route of a portable unit, with an external vent outside the shop. I figure the portable route will greatly reduce the reduction in cfm due to ducting.

I considered a seondary blower housing, prior to venting through the shop wall. We had a unit in one of the boat shops that was setup this way. The portable unit could be moved around as needed, and hooked into the the outisde vent ducting. Worked great for working with the fine fiberglass and fairing compounds.

I have also considered using a metal type filter in the ducting similar the type used in range vents, this would create an inline baffle for any sparks or glowing fragments from grinding.

Again thanks, for the direction. Basic design I was thinking off, but not sure on the execution.

I agree the design in the link looks good. Thanks for reposting it. Definitely going to try something along those lines. Holescreek you have a part # or supplier link for those round bag filters? Everything else seems self explanatory. I might arrange ducting so it can vent outside w make up air when the ambient outside isnt too hot/cold/humid. When weather is extreme close it off to filter and recirc inside air.

Look up Mathias wandel (sp?) on YouTube. He does some experiments about dust collection and fan operatio

Back