DV-59 Incoming or DE

Even small progress is progress. No need to apologize.

Cabinet looks good and that's quite a collection of goodies for the lathe!

I'll get some pics up tonight. Lathe is in place except now for power drop - that may necessitate movement. One of the leveling feet is stuck WAY down and I can't seem to budge it. I put some Kroil on it. (yes, I loosed the grub screw on the side) I need to root through my chuck wrench collection to see if I have one that fits those feet (or maybe TIG one up quick and dirty),

I decided to "honor" Memorial day by putting my Korean era veteran father/shop foreman to work. He sorted my tooling and took a good stab at my manual tap and die collection as well. He even cleaned up an old Park rotating table for my mill that I bought peeking out from a pile of chips one day at a yard sale.

We rolled the lathe in (still on her pallet) about 3 feet over from where we wanted it. Then raised it up 1/2" on jacks and demolished the pallet under it - SLOWLY lowering her onto 4 machine skates. Then we simply eased her over on the skates and popped them out 1 by 1. Lots of vacuuming as the pallet came apart by saw and the skates need perfectly smooth floor - but the good news is your cleanup is done when the job is done!

I did a second old Vidmar box because once you get the paint out you might as well do them all. I still need another coat on that box after I setup the drawers they way I want them. I will use Frog Lube on all the slides since it makes my tooling smell like Ben Gay. I'm going to cover the two boxes with a wooden top (already in my ample stockpile) and call it good late tonight or early tomorrow.

I have a date with an indicator and a spindle in the morning - I just didn't want to know before because she is staying one way or the other.

Here is my dear old Father sorting some of the heavy stuff in the bottom of the "new" cabinet:
20170526_131341.jpg
All of the tooling that came with the DV-59 fit into 1 drawer in the end:
20170526_110102.jpg
I will try for a spindle report in the morning - or Monday at the latest.

Update:

Nothing to update. I still have not found my cache of a spanner wrenches to fix the leg that is stuck way down.

My rotary 3-phase converter project is stalled a bit as well. I'm moving toward a shop-wide 10HP Rotary Phase Converter and I found a killer deal on an open box 10hp baldor 3 phase (to gin up the 3rd leg).

I found my "deal of the year" for $145. The motor arrived - all 495lbs of it while I was at work. It is a 50hp brand-new Baldor still on factory pallet with box and nylon guard still on the shaft.

So now I have to figure out how to parley my 50 into a 10 (The vendor can take it back - but they can't replace it with a 10hp cuz they have no open boxes and they didn't seem to care that they sent me a 3k motor).

I have a motor shop in AR that will deal with me (trading me 3 motors for 1) but I would prefer a closer solution.

In the mean time I bought a 1,400 lb table saw that spent the whole Spring out-of-doors in WA state... So I have been stocking up on scotch brite pads. I paid about $0.40 per pound for the 16" saw so don't let me complain too loudly.

Back