Dykem Blue, Where to get?

I got mine from Enco as well, wait till they have a free shipping offer and get some other stuff as well.

HF used to carry it, but no longer does. So I ordered my last from Enco as well. I have ordered direct from Dykem on some other products if you can't find the type you want.

For the 'nooobie', or anyone wondering what the heck is "Dykem"

Dykem is a brand name for a line of marking, lay-out, and high spotting products. This thread seems to be asking primarily about the "lay-out" types. These are offered in spray can and dauber, and go on sorta like thinned paint. You cover an area with the blue - or red - and scribe/scratch your points to drill or cut, etc. (A magic marker will do a pretty good job also)

Another totally different product from Dykem is called 'Hi-spot blue paste" This stuff is like a tube of oil paint an artist would use (in fact that will work in a pinch) Trying to mate two parts surfaces together, you need to know where the high/low points are. Smearing this bluing on one surface and sliding the two together will highlight the areas that need to be fixed (referred to as 'scraping')

Dykem also makes a staining color that can be used as a cheap alternative to anodizing. It's no where near as robust as anodizing, but very much an alternative if the application does not specifically require anodizing or painting.

author=Pacer link=topic=3518.msg25391#msg25391 date=1315753290
For the 'nooobie', or anyone wondering what the heck is "Dykem"

Another totally different product from Dykem is called 'Hi-spot blue paste" This stuff is like a tube of oil paint an artist would use (in fact that will work in a pinch) Trying to mate two parts surfaces together, you need to know where the high/low points are. Smearing this bluing on one surface and sliding the two together will highlight the areas that need to be fixed (referred to as 'scraping')

That is also sold under the name of prussian blue by the people who make Permatex.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, works good smeared under the handles of the friendly new guy's tool box pulls. :evil:

This could be a whole other topic.....but another is all the chads from a tape punch in the felt lined drawers. Double handful usually does the trick.

author=Tony Wells link=topic=3518.msg25748#msg25748 date=1315967554
This could be a whole other topic.....but another is all the chads from a tape punch in the felt lined drawers. Double handful usually does the trick.

Similar prank is to take all the holes from a hole puncher and put in the defroster vents of ones vehicle, when they turn the defroster on it's like it's snowing inside-it's very funny to watch ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back