Dynapath Delta 20 controls - Retrofit or leave alone?

I worked at a shop where we bought 2 identical Webb knee mills with Dynapath controls and one of them was really off on the linearity of the -X- axis tracking. We had the factory guy out and we made a test bar with holes every inch, and some on half inch. We mapped the bar on the CMM and he got into the firmware and copied the mapping into the machine. It was fine after that. Kind of wish I had one of those. They were almost fun to run.

Hello Gents,
I have an update. After 5mos of stagnation, I'm taking up the project again.

Against some of your better judgement, I've decided to go ahead and retrofit the controls before using the machine. It comes down to a mental thing; when I go out there and look at that CRT it doesn't excite me. I'm not passionate about it and have no desire to learn the Dynapath system. This lack of excitement about the Dynapath controls is a big part of why I haven't made any progress. Every time I picture myself on that machine, it's got a flat touchscreen and a control system that I built. So that's what I'm going to do.

I've pulled an old 2009 Compaq Presario desktop out the no man's land in the back corner of my garage and installed Debian LinuxCNC on it. I've got Mesa board 5i25 and 7i77 on order, should be here tomorrow. I decided to stick with the analog interface (7i77 card) because my servo drives are already set up for analog input (although changeable to step/dir or other inputs by simple parameter change) and because its one inexpensive option that lets me keep the encoder interface to the motion controller (and to the servo drives) for better performance. Other motion control solutions in my price range did not have encoder feedback to the motion controller.

So in the near future I will be selling a working (except for serial port) Delta 20 control system on eBay; how much do you think I should ask for it?

Back