E.J. Flather Mfg. Co. Automatic Gear Cutter

I would still like to see a better picture of the speed/feed plaque on your machine.

I cleaned it up and took a better picture. How's this? I emailed you the original as the forum appears to scale image attachments.

Where are the feed gears located? I assume 24 into 30 refers to a 24 tooth gear into a 30 tooth gear off the input shaft?

IMG_3940[1].JPG

Last edited:
the feed gears are located on the left side of the machine under a cover that the selector knob comes through; the gears are simply reversed on the shafts for the two feed ranges; I think I added another pair of gears to further widen the range

The picture came out very clearly on your post; now the work starts to engrave a plate for my machine!

The picture came out very clearly on your post; now the work starts to engrave a plate for my machine!

Super. Here is a photo of the plaque location. It measures 3.4375" wide by 3.125" high. and appears to be center on the door.

IMG_3942[1].JPG

I asked one time if you have the gearbox covers for the top of the machine; I have a foundry pattern for the small one, if you don't have one.

I asked one time if you have the gearbox covers for the top of the machine; I have a foundry pattern for the small one, if you don't have one.

I don't have the two top covers or the side door, but before I go to the trouble of casting them I'm going to go dig through the old shop and see if they are tucked in a corner. I'm also going to hunt for the arbors and if I'm crazy lucky I may even find an original manual. One can hope. Considering the shop was last moved in '35 I suspect I may dig up some gold...

That would be a worthwhile hunt! I was looking for some info on niter bluing today, and found an Ad in American Machinist Magazine that showed the improved 1910 model of the gear cutter, it looked very much like mine. I will copy it and post it. I would like to be a fly on the wall and see that shop; take lots of pictures!

Back