E-Machineshop

Here is a free...yes it's really free! CAD I use for the simple stuff I do called DraftSight: http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/overview/

There is lots of online support for it as well.

But you will need more than just a CAD program, you will also need a CAM package to control the machine.

I am currently using Siemans Solid Edge program. Taking a bit for me to learn all the in's and out's since I don' have any schooling on CAD programs and dont use it that much any way.

I use it for everything i can draw faster in it than anything i have tried if you really want to see how easy it is watch their tutorials on the web site. everything i have made for my new cnc mill project was drawn on emachineshop. the trick is you have to save the file to their format then you can export it as a dxf file and use it in a cam program. and i use d2nc for the cam program to generate the g-code also really easy.
steve

If you are looking for a free cad program, check out

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?title=Main_Page

It's a little rough, but works OK in most cases.

One thing to keep in mind is that while it is free, you are spending your time getting familiar with it. If that company goes out of business, or decides to lock it down so you can't use it except with their service... well, if that happens the time you spent goes up in smoke.

emachineshop does not have to be on the internet once you have it it wont shut down it just says it needs to update price lists nothing else changes i have been using it for years and i have installed updates without ever purchasing anything from them or giving them any information for that matter.
steve

For a simple yet powerful 2D drawing program, I highly recommend DeltaCad. At deltacad.com you can download a trial version to try. But for the price they sell it for $39.99 it is well worth it. Plus they have a website that you can post any problem, prints, or suggestions to, plus support of the program. I purchased it for my own personal use at work and now there are many at work also using it.

Can't say that I have used E-Machineshop; however, I have used DraftSight extensively in the past year and have been very impressed with it. I have a very strong background in more conventional programs such as AutoCAD, Inventor, SolidWorks, and also packages such as MasterCAM and SolidCAM so I think I can make some pretty good comparisons about its relative worth. Here is what I would say based on this:

1. The program is free and not just for home use, but commercial use as well. This is not something that a lot of other free CAD packages offer.
2. The program is pretty much a dead ringer for AutoCAD. If you have worked with any AutoCAD program in the last 15 years you will be able to work with Draftsight quite easily.
3. Well it is not a CAM package, you can easily work in dxf format and transfer your files to other cam programs for generating toolpaths, I have done this many times.
4. It is not a 3D software, or a parametric modeling package which means it will never be on the same footing as programs like SolidWorks, Inventor, ProE, etc. This does not take away from the great uses for a truly great 2D drafting program with much of the same capability as AutoCAD. If you want to draw up traditional 2D shop drawings for steam engines and other projects, even for sale, this program will work great for that application.
5. I suppose that SolidWorks (the company that really controls DraftSight) might change the program over time and it might end up charging for it. I doubt it though.

i have draftsight it is nice but i havent used it much
i hate the learning curve involved and i was having trouble grouping items.
i have to practice with it more i just get lazy and always go back to emachinshop
draftsight saves and exports in a lot of formats though, i use it for that all the time
thanks
steve

I download DraftSight, it appears to me that it does not like Windows 7 very well.

How many of you use or have used this? I just realized I can use this to design all my parts for my Plasma table I'm building. Not sure what kind of limitations/restrictions it has though.

Someone mentioned it on this forum. I use it because of the 3D imaging. The drawback is you can't scale your parts. The program will let you export your file to another CAD program. As well import one.
I also use CadStd at http://www.cadstd.com. Both are free downloads.

Hi,
Is this that program that lets you design parts then you can touch a button for quotes?
I found one years ago that did this and it also asked if you would like to make the parts.
The estimates are very much like cnc pricing, one off or small runs are expensive, but when numbers get huge, cost approach material costs. a very sound looking principal, if you can design it and want to buy the finished product it is out there for any manufacturer to pick up, depends on one's risk tolerance i suppose.

Back