Early 1900s Potter and Johnston 24 inch Shaper

Cyclebuster

Registered
Registered
Joins the list. electric motor, 4 speed gear box, and hand lever overcenter clutch modifications, came with a key slotter tool.
1917 Walcott 16 x 64 Lathe, double back gear, 4 speed lead, quick change gearbox. works fine
1940s Keller Model 5 HV Duty power hacksaw, eats metal like a mad animal.
1943 Wells Index Model 40h vertical mill, 100 percent operational and in good condition.
1950 Dawson DS Cutter Grinder, all attatchements, with THEMAC 7 angle grinder added and Cuttermaster air bearing

Attachments

• IMG_20200127_100942.jpg
    IMG_20200127_100942.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Finally, i got time to take the motor off. And guess what the PO wasn't lying, the electric motor is far newer and in near perfect condition. LIMA 3hp 3 phase severe duty. I am working on mounting the Baldor 5hp single phase motor. pulley went right on, but the old motor was larger and shimmed down from the mount, so i need to add 3 inches of shim to get the belt center correct, as the custom made belt guard is not adjustable. Its fine a piece of oak wont hurt my feelings any. SO hopefully in the next few days the machine will run for the first time in over 30 yrs. I think its going to be easier to shim it to the same location as compared to calculating the correct location due to the angle of the pivoting mount plate drop and the near impossibility of changing the belt guard. or maybe just remount the belt guard, i dont know. the old motor just hung from its own weight, but I cant see that being good on the 4 speed box, so i will build an adjuster.

The motor is on the mount plate, and the shaft roughly center same as the old one. its on stacked washers for now oak will likely end up in there. mechanically i have to lock tite the nuts on the traversing gearset, as if they fell off its directly into the gearset below. i may stake them also. i dont want to play that tune. FWIW. that scab grey comes off so far very easy, and the original black remains. looks like a putty knife will make this look cool as ****. I
am not one for paint, but the after market sheilds need to become flat black as well. I need to put a boat seat in the vise and do a "speeder" pic. update, the capacitor box is on top, and interferes with the base, i need 2 shorter belts . maybe 2 inches or so

Last edited:
Back