Early Atlas 7shaper

Anyone on here with a shaper S/N between 001202 and 003493 please report whether your machine does or doesn't have the S/N also stamped on the knee way.
For sure ...
Thanks for the poke in this direction. Meant to do this earlier ... my apologies.
- This shaper is a 7B, Ser. No. 002455.
- Year of manufacture unknown.
- It does NOT have the stamped number on the knee way.
If this site would like images of the Ser. No. Plate and the knee ways, just let me know pls.
-------
Roger on the word 'Zamak'.
Also, this machine has the support shaft/runner on its knee.

OK Thanks. Revised serial number range question is:

Anyone on here with a shaper S/N between 001202 and 002455 please report the model and serial number and whether your machine does or doesn't have the S/N stamped on the knee way and doesn't or does have it stamped on the nameplate.

Booter, does your machine have the original Atlas vise and crank and/or horizontal indexer? Photos of your machine are of course welcome but I don't think really necessary for this purpose.

All, I think those were the only two accessories for the Atlas or Craftsman Shaper other than various tool holders. If I've missed any, let me know.

Current high serial numbers are 013838 for the Atlas 7B and 000409 for the Craftsman 101.16000.

... does your machine have the original Atlas vise and crank and/or horizontal indexer?
Unfortunately, no vice-and-crank, and no indexer either.
Just the machine's own crank.
Cheers

OK. The crank for the shaper itself is the same as the one for the shaper vise (S7-100). So if you should happen to stumble across the Shaper Vise, it will most likely not have the crank with it, but that won't matter much.

After looking this morning at the latest Shaper parts manual that we have, I am reminded of the third accessory that was available for the shaper, which is the Rotary Index Table (vertical indexer).

Unfortunately, although the same three accessories are available for the Atlas Horizontal Mill as for the Atlas Shaper, they are not interchangeable. However, they do at least use the same crank (S7-100), same open-end wrench (S7-429) and same Base Key (S7-99).

Carr-Lane used to make one that was usable as a substitute. But last time I looked, it wasn't listed.

I found a real nice vise for mine thanks to one of the members here sending me a Craig's List ad a year or so ago. It came with the handle. My shaper has a short shaft for the table elevation, so I bought a 3/8 inch drive speeder wrench at NAPA and a double female square drive adapter and use it to crank the table up and down.

Back