Early Atlas 7shaper

Great photos, Thanks!

Just be careful around those open belts.

-brino

Yeah I have the guard off because it was damaged by the previous owner and needs repair at the hinge.

OK , now I have leg envy. I so want a pair of those legs . Also I'm starting to get a little nostalgic for a shaper as that was the first machine I learned to use in high school metal shop .

The appropriate location for machine serial and model numbers and other info on specific machines is the top thread in the sticky area at the top of this Forum. If you wish, I can just move your post up there. When I get time, I'll add them to the database, the master copy of which is kept on one of my local hard drives. Two or three times a year, I update the copy in Downloads, and in the Files area of the Atlas-Craftsman Group at groups.io (this is the Group that used to be on Yahoo).

From the photo of the page in Frank's earlier post, it would appear that your serial number should be stamped somewhere on the left side of the machine. I am not certain what the "Left Frame Way" is, but would assume that it is one of the three (I think) ground ways on the machine, almost certainly in an area that nothing slides over.

Well, despite the fact that it isn't on the left side, I don''t know of anything else that it could be. If we assume that 1750 7A's were made. that would put yours around October, 1939.

Yeah I was searching all over the left side of the machine and couldn't find it. On a whim I decided to wipe the right side down and there it was. Anyways thanks for dating it.

OK. At least we now know where to look on a Shaper that never had a nameplate - near the top of either the left or right knee way.

Could any other owners of any model Atlas shapers that DO have a nameplate with the serial number stamped on it please look in the location shown above (both left and right) and report your model, serial number and whether or not the S/N was also stamped on the knee way? Some of the early lathes did have it both places, but apparently not many.

On my 7b SN 012199 has no numbers on the knee casting either. This placement thing of left and right side was one of those things we had a problem with cars. It was decided orientation was from sitting in the drivers seat. In this case with the SN it makes sense it would be on that knee as that's the side you operate from.

Can anybody give me a clue why my SN is longer? Are you only supposed to pay attention to the last 4 numbers?

Last edited:
Back