Early Christmas: Grizzly G1033X planer...

TerryH

I have no clue what I'm doing...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've debated for years about replacing my Ridgid 13" lunch box planer with a real planer. When I purchased a nice stack of wide white oak slabs that will eventually become a new dining table for the wife, I had the perfect excuse to finally pull the trigger. The G1033X 20" spiral head arrived a few days ago and I have it up and going. 900 lbs of planer is quite an upgrade. The ensuing shop reorganization was not so much fun but it worked out.

I also "had" to have the Wixey WR550 planer digital readout. Got it installed last weekend. Really nice little gadget for $70.

Now comes the waiting for these slabs to get a little drier...

Planer looks right at home in it's new spot...

Thanks for looking!!

Very nice it beats the heck out of my 15" Grizzly. Like the digital readout on thickness, I have to use a dial gage. You might consider painting the ends of those slabs to slow down the drying or you will drive the checks deeper.

Very nice it beats the heck out of my 15" Grizzly. Like the digital readout on thickness, I have to use a dial gage. You might consider painting the ends of those slabs to slow down the drying or you will drive the checks deeper.

Thanks! I'm quite pleased with it so far. I'm not too concerned with the checks in the slabs. They were all at 15% MC when I got them. I have 2' to spare on the 2 that will become the table top and I'm going to epoxy fill whatever inclusions are left.

That is a wee bit of a step up from a Ridgid, I have one myself.
Although I'll take your new one - and the shop... (what can't I get mine that clean?)

That is a wee bit of a step up from a Ridgid, I have one myself.
Although I'll take your new one - and the shop... (what can't I get mine that clean?)

The key to keeping my shop clean is my backpack leaf blower. lol... I just open all the doors and windows and go for it.

Back