easier compound pivot lock

X-RAY

Active User
Registered
saw last nite on the net where this italain fellow drilled two holes through his compound slide, under the toolpost, to access the swivel lock screws without retracting the slide till it almost falls off. anybody else do this or have opinions about it? i've seen the other sb style conversions,but this suits my current skill level much better. i believe i would use the swivel feature more if i could access it easier/quicker. thanks.

well, nobody answered me so i thought id try it. if you try this, dont lay the bottom piece upside down on the top piece to mark the holes, at least the tool post covers the mistake. the picture i saw the guy had to notch the one gib, i would have to almost cut the gib in two on mine, is that acceptable? didnt try it, so i can only access the one bolt under the tool post, but so far, has held ok with just one tight. im glad i did it, like i suspected i find myself rotating the compound more often now that its easier. however, im looking for a better way, and might have found one as my skill level increases. until then, im still open to suggestions. thanks, and i hope this helps another newb.

Sorry nobody answered your question. Since you found your own answer, maybe you would be willing to take some photos and post them along with some good descriptions of just what you did. I have a hunch that no one answered your initial post because maybe nobody was sure just what you were describing. Then again, maybe no one else here has done that modification.

haha,i do have a hard time describing whats in my mind. pictures do work better.when noone replied, i assumed noone had done it, so thats why i posted my resuts, hoping to help someone else. for someone of my current skill level, it works, but i would recomend a different way of doing it if youre able. unless you can do it without cutting the gib in half. thanks.

It would help if you mentioned what model lathe you are referring to. By the sounds of it I take it that you are talking about the the 7x/SC2 style lathes where you have to back the compound slide out to access the compound lock? If yes I have not heard of mods for the compound but it does sound interesting.

i need to do like everyone else and list my machine in my signature. yes, its a hf 7x10. i was down there again tonight and forgot to take a picture, but like i said im looking for a better solution. thanks.

I saw that modification to the 7X lathes some time ago (years I think, but I get confused easily). I considered it, but I don't move the compound around enough tho really need it. And now that I'm going to sell the old girl, I'm glad I didn't.

No, it is not a good idea to cut the gib in two. Drilling the hole from the wrong side is a fine tradition that we all visit from time to time. Hiding the error under the tool post works. You can get replacement parts from LMS if you really bugger it up. Come to thunk of it, have you gained all that much if you have to remove the tool post to access the access hole? If it takes too much time to crank that little compound back, then you could make a spinner for your cordless drill and power it back.:))

Larry

How about this one? I thought it was pretty cool & like the ease of use. Unfortunately the site requires a membership to actually view the content showing how to do it & the video only shows operation also. Maybe there's another site that might show how or one could just figure it on their own.

Lever-Operated Compound Lock

[video=youtube_share;qc_e8VLCvpA]http://youtu.be/qc_e8VLCvpA[/video]

You beat me to it. The mod to the compound slide shown at mini-lathe.com (premium content) is worth every cent. It make life much easier.

Barry.

Re: easier compound pivot lock ---- revisited

well, i tried my version of the lock ring mod to the swivel, but my version didnt make me happy. i put the lock ring and another disk in the bottom of the compound base, instead of replacing the stock disk. tonight, i finished up the cam lock mod mentioned a few posts earlier, and im very pleased so far. i didnt follow the plan exactly, but close enough that it works good. if anyone else is debating whether to do it or not, it is worth it. hope this helps someone.

Back