Easson 12B install details on a PM1340GT (long post)

Alan
I was surpised to see that your 12B model has an external power supply.
Do you know if all 12B's have this or is it just 110 V models?
My older Easson 12 has an internal power supply
Great lathe and excellent install. Hope you get lots of enjoyment from it
Ron
Ron, I am no expert, but as I understand it the 12B is a recent variant. I suspect that all the models have the 5v external power supply. I have attached a couple of photos.

Of course taking the power supply out makes it a much lighter and slimmer display. I can imagine that the external power supply is smart and doesnt care if if you give it 110v or 240v, but I am only guessing.

unnamed.jpg
IMG_20170218_183549.jpg

By moving the power supply out of the display unit, it makes the head lighter and less prone to shaking. It also looks like the new head might also have a plastic back as opposed to a casting in the ES-12. In addition the new display unit's support is in the center, where before it was on one side. I had some issues with the older ES-12 display vibrating at certain resonant frequencies, and it was because of the support arm was flexing and also the cabinet. My solution was to build a stronger support and to use a backing plate in the control cabinet.
Old Bracket and New One.jpg

20170218_163959.jpg

Great Install Alan. I'm going to "lift" your cable routing system to use on my machine.
Thanks, Paul
Paul, glad you can use some of this. That's the big value of this forum.

Alan
Have you had a chance to use your ES-12B much yet?
Have you ever used the older ES12 Readout?
When the ES -12B is set up for lathe use are the soft keys specific for the lathe?
How easy is it to change from Radius to Diam mode for the Xaxis? Is there a dedicated Key?

Sorry for all the Q's but my lathe came with a generic Chinese readout which I find a bit of a pain tho use as it is not lathe specific. I have an ES12 on my mill and it is great for the Mill but I am not sure it would be so good on the lathe.
There may be some other members out there that have used both the ES-12 and ES-12B and might like to comment.
Thanks
Ron

There is a dedicated radius/diameter button.

Alan
Have you had a chance to use your ES-12B much yet?
Have you ever used the older ES12 Readout?
When the ES -12B is set up for lathe use are the soft keys specific for the lathe?
How easy is it to change from Radius to Diam mode for the Xaxis? Is there a dedicated Key?

Sorry for all the Q's but my lathe came with a generic Chinese readout which I find a bit of a pain tho use as it is not lathe specific. I have an ES12 on my mill and it is great for the Mill but I am not sure it would be so good on the lathe.
There may be some other members out there that have used both the ES-12 and ES-12B and might like to comment.
Thanks
Ron
Yes, dedicated key.

No insights on ES12, I have never seen one eye to eye! I'm hoping mksj (Mark) will respond since he has one on a lathe and knows the ins and outs well I am sure.

Meanwhile, here's a snippet from the ES121B manual regarding your question.

IMG_20170223_081606.jpg

The ES-12 has been revised, the ES-12B is a vertical format and the ES-12C is a horizontal format. They both have the same functions, they both use soft keys that are specific to the menu. The older ES-12 does not have soft keys, so it has more fixed keys for things like calculator. All of these Easson DRO display units can be switched from Mill, Grinder or Lathe specifications and some of the features change based on this. They all have dedicated R/D button. On the lathe I leave mine in diameter which matches the mechanical dials, I have yet to use/need the radius and this only works on one axis. These displays are all graphical so it is easier on the eyes, and on some things like taper it will show it on the display (I have not used this function). Both the 12B and 12C are available through AliExpress for about $515 for a 3 axis system with generic glass scales and it seems like it needs some adapter for the scales. Others may sell it with Easson glass scales, which have been very good in my experience. There are also magnetic scales from other manufactures. On the lathe you would need to specify 1 micron slim scales for the cross slide.
Lathe ES-12C functions: http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Easson_Lathe_Digital_Readout_LCD.htm
Example of soft keys: http://web27.streamhoster.com/hvp/dropros/ES12CCalcL.jpg
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...xis-DRO-system-and-3/1021179_32789719488.html

You only use a few functions on the DRO in the lathe configuration, unlike the mill. The only other DRO of this type that I am aware of that has more specific lathe functions is the EL700 which when used with 3 scales, has many more lathe specific features. It is also 3 times the price. There are some other fancy ones that have additional inputs and can do things like SFM, etc.

Alan
Thanks very much for your reply and info on ES12B. The dedicated R/D button is exactly what I require.
Will Check out the rest of the operation if I can find a manual online before I make a decision between a ES12, ES12B or electronica EL400 which is a Lathe specific old style ( No Graphical interface) DRO for Magnetic scale which I use
Cheers
Ron

PS. Alan when you have had a chance to use you DRO a bit would you care to post a review?

Last edited:
Hi MKSJ

Thanks also for your response. I already have an ES12 on my mill so generally know its functions and how it works. Love it on the Mill but not sure how well it would port to the lathe as the Mill specific buttons always seem to annoy me. My lathe was supplied with the classical chinese- fit all machines -DRO readout ( Delos/Ditron) which I really dislike.
Tossing up between an ES12, ES12B or an Electronica EL400 ( lathe specific) as a replacement. The Electronica EL700 is very expensive!!! and not sure it is worth it. There are cross over adapters available to connect Electronica Magnetic scales to Easson Readouts but if you know what you are doing you can just change the connections in the DB plug for the same effect
Do you know if there is a copy of the ES12B Manual online that I can peruse?
Thanks
Ron
Brisbane AU

Just had look at the Easson 12B on the DROPROS website where they advertise it as a 2 axis Color LCD Lathe Digital Readout.
However when you read further down the page many of the functions they list are only for the Mill. I know that this is not all that the ES12B can do and it does have Lathe specific functions but the Dropros site tends to put you off the ES12B as a Lathe DRO

Last edited:
Back