Easson GS10 Glass Scales

rogerl

Registered
Registered
I am looking to buy a Easson ES-12 DRO for my Milling machine. Precision Mathews sells a 3 axis kit for $699.99. The warranty for the system from Precision Mathews is 1 year for both the DRO unit and the G10 glass scales. DRO Pros has the same kit for $799. The warranty for the scales is 3 years from DRO Pros. Is the 3 year warranty worth the extra money. Has anyone had the Easson GS scales fail within 3 years. the mill is a PM-935TS that will be used for home hobby use. It will not be in a production environment. I will not be running coolant on the machine. Any information would be great.

Thanks
Roger L

I've had Sino glass scales on my lathe for 10 yrs now. I've had Easson glass scales on my mill/drill for 7 yrs. None have ever gave me a problem. I don't run flood coolant, I just spray it on. Glass scales don't usually fail that often. They get dirty especially running coolant or not running covers but they can be cleaned.

If you keep the read heads clean they should be trouble free a very long time. If they fail, they'll probably fail pretty quick within the warranty period due to a defect.

I have installed two ES-12 systems on my lathes and also helped a few other people. Have not hear of the scales failing or any problems. I have heard of two display failures that occurred shortly after the install (one was DOA, the other the transformer was faulty), the earlier ES-12A units had some software glitches. Typically component failures occur earlier on.

Back